We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hainan Island

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hainan Island

I want to travel from Hong Kong to Hainan Island, what is the best way to do this - is there a ferry or am I best to fly with Dragon Air?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
140 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hainan Island

fly with dragonair.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hainan Island

First of all, Hainan Island is not an outlying island of HK , so the only transportation I know of by sea is the cruise that goes to Sanya, and Yalong Bay. (presently done by Costa Cruises). Star cruises used to do it from HK, no longer available.

By air, it's about a little over an hour, so that gives you an idea the geographical distance, I think almost EVERYONE I know who vacation in Hainan Island go by air. It's not expensive from HK, especially if you book a hotel and air package.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hainan Island

I hardly think there's a ferry from Hong Kong to Hainan. However, the cheapest way to travel between the 2 would be to go by train/bus from Hong Kong to Guangzhou (about 2-3 hours), then change to the overnight train from Guangzhou to Haikou on Hainan island.

china beijing
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hainan Island

Hi, Vicki & George

I am sorry for late reply, but hope it is still helpful for other travellers

Hongkong-Sanya:

1)By air:

There are two flights available per day, the morning and evening one. The price is not very high, the cheapest say about RMB1000/person/ round tickets, the highest say about RMB1700/person/round tickets. It depends on when you go.

Acturally, it is valuable for go there by air, save time and energy.

2) By Train/bus:

You can take bus or train to Guangzhou first, then take Guangzhou- Hainan train or bus to come here.

Or you can take bus to Shenzhen first, then fly to Sanya from Shenzhen. For this trip is not tired and not expensive.

3)By ship:

Go to Guangzhou first, then by ship to Hainan. Please remember only Thu., Tue. andSat. have ship departed from Guangzhou. Hope no seasickness!

Above all, every way is not difficult. Hope it helps for your Hainan travel!

Good luck every day!

Level Contributor
4,194 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hainan Island

Bump up this old thread for an update if anyone able to advise names of cruise line operating between HK and Sanya, Hainan Island? Thank you.

6. Re: Hainan Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:21 am, August 26, 2009