We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning trip in mid-Jan

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
planning trip in mid-Jan

Hi, I'm intending to bring my mum to Hongkong in mid-Jan.

got a few concerns, hope you can help me:

1. will the weather be cold?

2. if i decide to book a hostel, do I have to look out for availability of heater?

3. for those major tourist spots (eg. da fo, stanley market, the peak) are those affected by the winter season?

Thanks!!

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: planning trip in mid-Jan

1. It won't be cold by western standards but if you're from Singapore it is likely that you'll notice the difference at any time in mid January. During a cold snap - watch out on weather maps for troughs of low pressure moving southeastwards across China or else tightly packed isobars extending past Hong Kong from the northwest anticyclone sitting over Mongolia - you will certainly feel the difference. It's the type of damp cold that seems to eat into you rather than the drier cold say in Alpine regions.

2. During cold snaps, the cold seems to permeate through concrete as well so it you're susceptible to the cold, it would be prudent to look for adjustable heating in the room.

3. Hong Kong is a year round tourist destination and we are not aware of any seasonal differences apart from varying degrees of protection from the elements.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,609 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: planning trip in mid-Jan

going to HK from SIN in Jan, bear in mind the peak is as the name suggested, u will be on a higher elevation so bring along warm clothes. If u really dont want to walk around, u can always stay indoor but to go to the Peak, u should go to the viewing gallery to get a good look at the beautiful skyline. At the peak, it is better to have a windproof jacket/coat.

The same is said about the other attractions like Stanley (though the peak will be colder and windier than a few other attractions), it is an open market but coz it is a narrow alleyway, they do have some plastic sheets that they put up during winters to keep some of the cold out. But u still need a jacket/coat.

If u think it is costly to buy winterwear in SIN, layering might be your solution or buy one on the very first day in HK.

Good Luck

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i8229-Hong_Kong…

3. Re: planning trip in mid-Jan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 26, 2009