We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a beach resort near Hong Kong

Bonita Springs...
3 posts
Save Topic
Looking for a beach resort near Hong Kong

We will be in Hong Kong on June 4, 2007 at the end of an OAT tour of China and Tibet. Instead of flying home, we would like to extend out trip for a week and stay at a nice resort on a beach. Is there anything in the area that would be worthwhile to stay and relax for a week.

I read about Sanya ,about an hours flight away, but have decided I don't want the hassle and expense of another flight. If there is nothing in the area, then I will just return home.

I would like to be in a price range of $100 to $125 a day for the two of us.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,151 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a beach resort near Hong Kong

In HK, you can consider Gold Coast Hotel. It's where most locals go for a "weekend" beach vacation.

Also, Macau is a good option. Westin Resort. But don't expect the beach to be white sandy beach. Not a "nice" beach..... but relaxing for sure.

Macau is 1 hour away from HK by ferry. Very easy to access, and very nice for a weekend getaway.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,675 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a beach resort near Hong Kong

In summary, no beach resorts in HK............everyone goes to Bali, Phuket, Cebu, etc.

You cannot swim in the water due to pollution.

Why not stop in Hawaii on the way home ?

New York
Level Contributor
358 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a beach resort near Hong Kong

dktokyo - that's not true you can't swim in the water in Hong Kong beaches. There are many nice beaches in Hong Kong - I have been a to a few of them myself. I found them to be well mantained and some of them very beautiful with very good facilities.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a beach resort near Hong Kong

There are nice beaches in HK but they are not developed for tourism purporses (thank goodness !) so dont expect beach resorts. U can rent rooms from some of the houses in the villages if u choose to go.

I would recommend Tai Long Wan in Sai Kung (but rooms for rental is at Sai Wan Village instead of Ham Tin where Tai Long Wan beaches are)

Lantau's Cheung Sha Wan (in Cantonese meaning Long Sand) is another spot if u go further up the beach away from the famous seafood restaurants, the beach is nice and not crowded.

Shek O Village is a famous seafood destination but they also have a beach.

Most people go to Repulse Bay on HK Island to hang out but it is not as nice as the islands' beaches.

Good Luck

PS. since u r already in the region, why dont u look at the budget airlines and make ur way to some of the popular beach resorts in Asia ? These budget airlines are cheap (much cheaper than Southwest or JetBlue) and bring u to paradise islands eg. Bali, Phuket, etc

New York
Level Contributor
358 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a beach resort near Hong Kong

de_last_one - yeah, you're right that even though Hong Kong has some nice beaches, they aren't "destination holiday" beach resorts - that's true - I forgot to mention that.

Bonita Springs...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a beach resort near Hong Kong

Thank you all for the input. I see that while there are beaches, they are more for a weekend visit rather than a destination for a week or better stay. We have been to koh samui and loved it. We might consider Puuket or Bali. I'll do some checking around and see about setting up air for the trip.

I'll have to fly from Hong Kong if that is possible and then return because I have to take the flight to the US that OAT set up for me.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a beach resort near Hong Kong

From HK, u have limited choices but the best bet is to take the ferry ride to Macau and from there a short flight to BKK :

http://en.airmacau.com.mo/

Another is Cebu Pacific Air (to any one of the amazing Philippine islands), RT ticket from HK is about US$120 (including taxes).

If u have time on ur hand, check jetstarasia.com or tigerair.com for flights to SIN then catch the 45 mins ferry to Bintan (an Indonesian island). This way u can get to see another part of Asia.

Good Luck

8. Re: Looking for a beach resort near Hong Kong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 18, 2009