We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some specific questions, hope you can help

Dhahran
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
Some specific questions, hope you can help

After looking at all the hotel locations, we have decided to go with BP International hotel in Austin road. I have the following questions:

1.Comments on the hotel?

2.How many minutes to walk from this hotel to Star Ferry.

3.Using the link below for a suggested ���hong kong walk���, how many minutes will this walk takes. Can I cross from BP International to Hillwood Rd? Is it pedestrian friendly (i.e., 4 year old child in stroller)?

…discoverhongkong.com/eng/touring/hkwalks/ta…

4.How many minutes (walk) from BP International to Bird Garden.

5.How many minutes (walk) from BP International to Fa Yuen St.?

I know my questions are too detailed but would help us plan our trip better. Thanks for any help you can extend.

Mentioned in this post
Star Ferry
Star Ferry
19,951 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hotel ICON
Hotel ICON
#3 of 728 hotels in Hong Kong
Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
#5 of 728 hotels in Hong Kong
Cordis, Hong Kong
Cordis, Hong Kong
#8 of 728 hotels in Hong Kong
Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Some specific questions, hope you can help

I like being asked detail questions and to give detail answers. First of all, the correct name of your accommodation is "B.P. International House" (not hotel). Its address is 8 Austin Road, in Jordan district and it shares the same building with Hong Kong Scout Centre.

1. Since I am a Hong Kong local, I seldom live in hotel rooms in Hong Kong, so I cannot comment too much on the rooms. But I go to hotel eating outlets, and I have been to a wedding banquet in B.P. International House, it's ok. It is not a luxury hotel. Its something like a 3-star hotel. The Kowloon Park is next to it. Some comments about them can be viewed at tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g294217-d305… .

2. Its about 1 km or 15 minutes walk to the Star Ferry if you walk via Canton Road. If you take the more busy Nathan Road, its about 1.4 km or 25 minutes.

3. Allow at least 1.5 hours for that walk, and more if you prepare to stop because there are lots to see at Park Lane Shopper���s Boulevard and Teddy Bear Kingdom. It is pedestrian friendly.

4. The Bird Garden is in Yuen Po Street in northern end of Mong Kok district, and is a bit too far to walk. Take the Mass Transit Railway (MTR, Hong Kong's undergroud railway) to Prince Edward Station (3 stations north of Jordan Station where B.P. International is) and then a 500m walk to the East.

5. Fa Yuen Street is a north-south running street between Bird Garden and Prince Edward Station. It is only a 150m walk to the East of Prince Edward Station.

Finally, this detail online map will give you lots of help: http://www.centamap.com/. It is zoomable and scaled. Click on the word "English" to switch to English. It is capable of searching street names and place names.

Mentioned in this post
B P International
B P International
1,761 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Kowloon Park
Kowloon Park
1,915 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Star Ferry
Star Ferry
19,951 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Canton Road
Canton Road
120 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Nathan Road
Nathan Road
1,902 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
MTR
MTR
19,431 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Fa Yuen Street
Fa Yuen Street
205 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Dhahran
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Some specific questions, hope you can help

Tin,

Thank you very much for the quick and clear replies.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,147 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some specific questions, hope you can help

Hi,

I have kind of different view from Tin about BP. My office is near this "hotel", and I can tell you, this hotel is NO GOOD. The service is horrible, and it's catered mostly to the Mainland China group, so it's chaotic all the time with coaches in the the front, and a BIG bunch of people stuffed at the entrance all the time, and the amount of people going in and out of the Kowloon Park causes this hotel to be quite "chaotic". I can't think of another word to describe it.

This hotel is not only not luxurious, but I don't think it deserves 3 stars. Our guests have stayed there, and we're not using this hotel again.

You asked a lot about walking to places..... I am just wondering when are you coming to HK ? You know how hot it gets here from May- Sept....

I would NOT bring my child in a stroller and walk to Fa Yuen St, Bird garden... Why walk when taxis, Subways, buses are SO CHEAP here? I don't know what your budget is... but walking to Fa Yuen street from Austin Road is kind of crazy.

Just my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Kowloon Park
Kowloon Park
1,915 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Fa Yuen Street
Fa Yuen Street
205 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,147 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some specific questions, hope you can help

Hi Rob,

Just wanted to clarify, sorry about the word "crazy"... I was typing away like the way I TALK to friends....please don't take any offence.

just wanted to say, transportation is really convenient and affordable here, AND, the pollution in HK is very bad, don't take your child in a stroller to walk on Nathan Road and big streets for long periods of time. You will know what I am talking about when you get here....

Just take the MTR (subway) or a bus or a taxi (around HKD $ 35.00) to get to Fa Yuen Street from Tsim Sha Tsui (BP is really on the border of TST and Jordan).

Mentioned in this post
Nathan Road
Nathan Road
1,902 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
MTR
MTR
19,431 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Fa Yuen Street
Fa Yuen Street
205 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tsim Sha Tsui
Tsim Sha Tsui
1,500 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Dhahran
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Some specific questions, hope you can help

Kate,

No offense taken, in fact I was hoping you would respond as you seem to have the most knowledge of HK so I appreciate your opinion very much.

I had good comments about BP international because of the location, not the service. My aim is to be within walking distance of the star ferry and Jordan MTR station so that's why I kind of leaning towards BP. However, I have not made any bookings for the hotel since our trip will be in mid June (I know it's hot and humid).

I have read your comments in the other thread and I was actually considering YMCA Salisbury but thought of BP as more centrally located. So with "shopping within walking distance" as an objective, can you recommend which hotel we should take? I was considering Marco Polo Hongkong which I can afford but other relatives who want to tag along does not want to pay for that kind of money.

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
MTR
MTR
19,431 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Marco Polo Hongkong Hotel
Marco Polo Hongkong Hotel
2,984 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,147 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some specific questions, hope you can help

HI Rob,

June... it's going to be hot. If you have a toddler, I would say, YMCA is a good one... b/c it is near star ferry, AND it is convenient location close to the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR, not Jordan. Is there a particular reason why you need to be in Jordan? (Just for your info, just on the other side of Austin road, across from BP ... recently, it's becoming more and more of a red light district. B/c of the recent opening of Langham Place in Mongkok.... they have shifted over to Jordan. ) So, I really don't think BP is a good one. )

Marco Polo Hong Kong is wonderful. It is expensive. The other option is Marco Polo Prince... which is on the same street, and connected to Marco Polo Hong Kong by the same shopping center. So, in other words, think of MP Hong Kong hotel at the end of Canton Road which is right next to the star ferry, and Marco Polo Prince is at the beginning of Canton Road. The time it would take me with my toddler in a stroller to walk the entire Canton Road would be 15 minute, with LOTS to see in between.

I also think, Miramar Hotel would be a very good choice for you. It would be a farther walk to the ferry, but close to everything else. I don't think you would take the ferry a lot of times, maybe during one day while crossing to HK island side. But other than that, you would take the subway, it's so much easier.

Take the ferry for the "tourist" part. It's a great experience and nice to see HK and Kowloon in that angle.

I don't know what your purpose is to visit Fa yuen St, and Bird Garden, (I assume just for sightseeing), but if you have to be there alot, the other hotel which is really close and nice to this area is Royal Plaza Hotel.

Post again if you need more info.

Mentioned in this post
Tsim Sha Tsui
Tsim Sha Tsui
1,500 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
MTR
MTR
19,431 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Langham Place
Langham Place
486 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Mongkok
Mongkok
2,996 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Marco Polo Shenzhen
Marco Polo Shenzhen
748 Reviews
Shenzhen, China
Canton Road
Canton Road
120 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
The Kowloon Hotel
The Kowloon Hotel
1,816 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Royal Plaza Hotel
Royal Plaza Hotel
4,457 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,147 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some specific questions, hope you can help

Forgot to finish what I was saying... The reason I suggest Prince Hotel is b/c it's generally cheaper than MP Hong Kong Hotel. For example, right now, I am booking a guest for Prince Hotel for Easter, and the rate I got is $ 750 HK per night. Which is NOT bad for the location.

Mentioned in this post