We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying mobil phones in hongkong

nuneaton
Level Contributor
337 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
buying mobil phones in hongkong

hi thought i treat myself to a nice new mobil phone while in hongkong , will it work when i come back to england dont want to come home with a phone thats not compatable with english bands ect

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,980 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying mobil phones in hongkong

they will be compatible. But if you are on a 3G network, obviously you need to buy a 3G phone. You should do your homework first before going to a shop there.

nuneaton
Level Contributor
337 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying mobil phones in hongkong

hello bibimbod im not very up on tecnology at the mo i am orange net work pay as u go thats all i know what i dont want is a sales man in hongkong telling that it is compatablw when it is not

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,980 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying mobil phones in hongkong

Then perhaps it's not such a wise move. The phones are pretty much all compatible, but all phones sold in HK to non-subscribers are at full retail, while you can buy subsidized phones in the UK.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying mobil phones in hongkong

Hi royalruby

Mobile phones in Hong Kong are sold without a subsidy like we have here in the UK, so you will be paying full handset prices (ranging from £100 to £500) depending on what you are looking for. As a result, there is not really a saving to be made, especially if you are on a contract here.

If you buy from a reputable dealer then you will have no problems with the stock. For Orange, you need to make sure it is GSM 1800 compatible, but most phone models are now. The phones in HK are unlocked, so you should be able to put your Orange SIM card in, although some Orange specific functions may not work, because I know they do pre-programme a lot of their official phones.

There are also a lot of import and used goods dealers in Sincere House in Mongkok. You can get a good deal here, but most will be without warranty and you need to be very careful what you are buying here. Unless you are with a local or someone who knows the score, then I would avoid.

Personally I have never found the need to buy a mobile phone in Hong Kong in my trips over the years as I feel the deals in the UK are actually much better!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,821 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buying mobil phones in hongkong

I would not recommend buying used phones or phones from some of the smaller telecomm shop. The quality of used phones really vary. I even know locals who tried to save money and ended up with batteries that last only a few hours even on standby only.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,980 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buying mobil phones in hongkong

pretty much all "grey market" phones sold in HK come with counterfeit batteries.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buying mobil phones in hongkong

In a word Ruby - dont

8. Re: buying mobil phones in hongkong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 20, 2009