We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there still a problem on using 1k note?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Is there still a problem on using 1k note?

saw some posts that are quite old. Is it still a problem right now?

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there still a problem on using 1k note?

If your getting them from HK, it`s doubtful you`ll come across any fakes. They would long be gone from circulation. But some smaller shops still might not take the risk (or have enough change).

Bank or 7-11 etc, will happily accept them if you have problems.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there still a problem on using 1k note?

Not a real problem, but not very common. Use the search function to find other recent threads.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,198 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there still a problem on using 1k note?

It's never been a "problem". Yes small merchants don't like to change 1,000 bills. Other than that it's not an issue.

Various, UK, Aus...
Level Contributor
62 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there still a problem on using 1k note?

I've lived in HK for nearly 7 years. I've never owned a 1000 HKD note. They are not common. They don't come out of the ATM machines so not sure where you are going to get one from! Does this help?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,326 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there still a problem on using 1k note?

Lots of shops and restaurants still don't take $1,000 bills. Use chain store supermarkets, pharmacies or convenient stores to break down the note. Taxis never take $1,000 bills.

Singapore
Level Contributor
213 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there still a problem on using 1k note?

mai s:

Some money changers in Singapore give out the $1000 note. So if you are changing your currency in Singapore, ask your moneychanger if he has notes other than $1000. That's what I did and I had no problems, my whole stack was in $500s.

When I was in HK in Apr this year, I noticed that quite a few shops put up signs to say they do not take $1000 bills. But like what has been mentioned, larger stores or chain stores will mostly accept them.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there still a problem on using 1k note?

Hi,

there is no problem using the HKD1000 currency note (it is still a legal tender),it is the level of acceptance amongst certain quarters of merchants over here.

As such, if you had been given HKD1000 notes when exchanging in (perhaps Singapore),and wish to break it down to smaller denominations,there are two banks in HKIA (viz. BOC and HSBC),and also using it in purchase of your Octopus card (and/or Airport express tickets,more so the group discounted tickets), HK prepaid SIMs etc, tickets to parks from CTS.

Also as advised by @twentyofive.

A few weeks ago, there was also another forumer, think was from India,and when exchanging in India, one money changer only had HKD1000 notes, he/she went to another one,and was exchanged with HKD500notes.

New Delhi
Level Contributor
277 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there still a problem on using 1k note?

Would advise you to not carry HKD 1000 notes with you and possibly carry your travel cash as HKD 500 notes. I saw a lot of cashiers in restaurants, malls and retail stores displaying a message saying we dont accept HKD 1000 notes.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,782 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there still a problem on using 1k note?

In the area where I live, different merchants have different policies: some have a blanket ban on accepting HKD1000, others will accept most, but refuse the Bank Of China 2003 issue, and others will accept any that pass their ultra-violet light test.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there still a problem on using 1k note?

So the answer is: depending on where you want to spend it, a $1,000 note could be a hassle for you. If you have a choice, bring $500s instead.