We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Structuring Family 6N/7D trip to Hong Kong

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi
Level Contributor
277 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Structuring Family 6N/7D trip to Hong Kong

Hi All,

I am visiting Hong Kong (1st time) with family - my wife and 2 kids aged 4 and 10. Would be reaching from Delhi (India) on the morning of 2nd of June, reaching 6:50 AM. I would be staying at the Hotel Royal Park, Sha Tin. This place has a Family Room which I needed and got me good rates online, also has good reviews. Understand Sha Tin is a bit away from the HK sights, but basis reviews on this site believe that HK public transport is really efficient and should not be a problem. Anyhow, I am checked in for 6 nights so would check out on June 8, 650 PM flight. Needed some assistance from the wonderful travel experts on how to structure the days. I don't want to cover anything and everything, so would prefer a more relaxed tourney.

1) I reach early on Monday, June 2 and think the hotel room will not be available before 2 PM, maybe 11AM/12PM if I am able to coax them. I plan to do Bfast at the Airport Arrival hall itself and then maybe take a Taxi to my hotel. I also plan to buy and Octopus Card.

a) Would that be available at the airport?

b) Would I need 1 for everyone including my kids

c) So, how does it work, they would add specific amount to the card and there would also be a refundable amount on each card. What places can we top up the card? There's also a day pass - I saw it on the MTR website, does it make sense to use: mtr.com.hk/eng/tourist/tourist_products.html

Also, once I drop my bags if the room is still not available (or available), what places can we cover, the reason is I don't want Day 1 to go waste. Since it’s a DIY trip, I am open to visiting anything, should I cover the city lights/

2) Day 2 – June 3 (Tuesday) - Disneyland (guess will take the entire day). What route you suggest from Sha Tin and way back. I would want to see the fireworks at the day end. Would transport be available from Disney at say 8 PM. I won’t fuss if we have to do the Taxi option but if time taken would largely be the same, I am open to using the MTR network everywhere considering Sha Tin station is very near to my hotel.

3) Day 3 – June 4 (Wednesday) – Lantau island do the NP360 and the Giant Buddha and see the villages. How much time is ok to be spent there and what is the best time to reach. Also, what else can I combine with if I am visiting Lantau

4) Day 4 – June 5(Thu) – Ocean park, unless people in the forum suggest doing either of the 2 theme parks. I reckon I am visiting so as well do it. Believe it will take the entire day. Suggestions on how to reach and comeback

5) Day 5 – June 6 (Fri) – Not sure, maybe see the peak, tram ride (although have read a lot about the long queues) and combine with anything else. I also want to do the Chi Lin Nunnery (especially try the veg food there) and Nian Lian Gardens

6) Day 6 – June 7 (Sat) – Open

7) Day 7 – June 8 (Sun)- 1st half open

I would in all these like to definitely see the Kowloon area, My hotel has shuttles to TST so would cover that, the Ladies market, temple market, Causeway Bay, Repulse Bay – I just need suggestions on what to combine when. And yes, can I do Macau, is it good enough for a day trip and would the kids enjoy.

We are all vegetarians (or let me say eggetarians), so I know we would have an issue so suggest good areas near my hotel where we could find food more on the veggie lines. We are not so gung-ho on Indian food per say (again where all we can find that), and are fond of Oriental or American or Italian cuisine but veggie or veggie+egg. Infact, my hotel has a Shopping center smack in front and I plan to visit for my breakfast (Since its not included in my hotel rates and I guess at $150+taxes per person, I can get better options.

Finally, I understand online rates are cheaper, is that true and also I believe, Ocean park should be considered under Clear weather which means I cannot plan it in advance considering no one can predict the HK weather, pls suggest, what tickets are better bought online.

So, there is it Dear Fellow Trip Advisors, looking for help on structuring. The focus is on kids enjoyment + some shopping + relaxation as well.

Regards

Rahul

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Structuring Family 6N/7D trip to Hong Kong

1) a) yes, breakfast at various restaurant and Octopus at a MTR Corp counter in the arrival hall.

b) yes, kids Octopus for the kids, regular for you and wife

Many Indian people asked the same question about veggie food. Please use the search function. I recommend you visit the Branto restaurant one day and maybe Woodlands restaurant. Both good.

Also the park question and others have been lengthly discussed in the forum. Maybe you have a look at other posts as well.

Enjoy!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Structuring Family 6N/7D trip to Hong Kong

You can add however much amount you think you need on the Octopus card. You can top-up the Octopus card at any MTR station or places listed here octopus.com.hk/easy-reloading/…

This is about returning the card and getting money back: mtr.com.hk/eng/…about_octopus_return.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,279 posts
5,508 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Structuring Family 6N/7D trip to Hong Kong

Hello TravelPoddar,

Welcome to the Hong Kong forum.

1.c - You can use your Octopus at many convenience shops, fast food restaurants, supermarkets, coffee shops, MTR, Bus, Airport Express - the list goes on and on!

>>>.......what places can we cover (after dropping off bags).......<<<<

You have many options. For something nearby to your hotel, I might suggest a seeing the Sha Tin area attractions described in this trip list (see link)

A Day in Sha Tin

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24058-A_Day_in…

Or, perhaps visit the Mongkok street market scene (see list)

Hong Kong’s Best Street Market Scene (Mongkok)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24685-Mongkok_…

Other attractions of interest (sorted by area) can be found here

Hong Kong Top Attractions (by area)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23948-What_to_…

>>>2) Day 2 – June 3 (Tuesday) - Disneyland (guess will take the entire day). What route you suggest from Sha Tin and way back.<<<<

The most convenient route would be to take bus route R42 from Sha Tin directly to Disneyland. See link for route details.

http://m.kmb.hk/en/result.html?busno=R42

The MTR is also ok but the bus would be the simpliest way to go.

>>>3) Day 3 – June 4 (Wednesday) – Lantau island do the NP360 and the Giant Buddha and see the villages. How much time is ok to be spent there and what is the best time to reach. Also, what else can I combine with if I am visiting Lantau<<<

You can also visit the fishing village of Tai O and Po Lin Monastery (next to Big Buddha). We have usually spend just 3-4 hours (*not including Tai O) doing these attractions in the past. If you start in the morning, you are finished by mid day. I might make my way to Diamond Hill in Kowloon after to see the Chi Lin Nunnery/Nan Lian Gardens, two of our more attractive attractions in all of Hong Kong. You shoud have some extra time in the afternoon if you make your way to Lantau early.

>>>4) Day 4 – June 5(Thu) – Ocean park, unless people in the forum suggest doing either of the 2 theme parks<<<<

Totally up to you. You have wisely not scheduled Disney and OP on back-to-back days. If your children like theme parks, than why not do both. You are correct, OP takes 3/4 to a full day to visit. Transportation information can be found directly on the Ocean Park website.

Day 5 - Peak and Central area attractions would be good to see. I'd make time for a ride on the Star Ferry and the Ding-Ding trams, kids love these. Perhaps go to the Hong Kong Science Museum, over 500 interactive activities / things to try for the little ones there.

Day 6 - Saturday is a busy time to go to Macau but then again its busy at all the major attractions in Hong Kong. If you want to make a day trip there, just start early to avoid the ferry traffic and you can have a very nice time in Macau. We almost always try to take the 8am ferry for this purpose. Here is a helpful trip list for making a day trip to Macau (see link)

Macau Day Trip from HK (what you need to know)

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Macau Day Trip (Macau Highlights – Day Trip)

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g664891-d251…

As for your interest in shopping in Hong Kong. Start here.

Hong Kong Top Shopping area

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i36592-Hong_Kon…

New Delhi
Level Contributor
277 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Structuring Family 6N/7D trip to Hong Kong

Thanks BradJill for your detailed reply.

Day 1 - I would definitely try and make it to the Man Fat Size Monastery. The New Town Center is right in front of our hotel, so I think we would go there in the morning to grab some veggie breakfast (if we dont manage any in the Airport Arrival Hall). Of course we would love to make it to Crystal jade, since we as a family love Dim Sums only if we can get veggie dumplings. I think in the afternoon post some resting (owing to the late fligh). would go to Mongkok area and visit the markets and then do the ladies market in the evening.

Question 1: Am assuming Mongkok is not too far from Sha Tin and easily accessible by MTR, Bus or Taxi (if required)

Question 2: In the Mongkok Area, can we find good places to eat veggie, Cuisine not an issue - Italian, American, Oriental or Indian.

Day 2 - Disneyland it would be:

Question 1: Are online tickets a better bet (Cheaper), how is it when its raining.

Ques 2: I guess the fireworks at the Castle are sort of the ending of the day. Does it make sense to stay till the end for this or should we leave earlier to avoid the crowds which might be on their way out then.

Ques 3: Again for dining, I think exploring the New town plaza would be the better bet

Day 3 - Lantau and Chi Lin Nunnery -

Ques 1 - Again how do you reach lantau. Is there a starting point you have to reach to do the NP Village and how far would be Kowloon for the Chi lin Nunnery

Day 4 - Have read if weather is bad, one should avoid OP. I am assuming if its raining heavily and considering rain is forecasted in the week I am travelling, what do you suggest. Again, if I dont do OP, what can be a valid option for all for the day

Day 5 - Peak and Central Area, would mean going to the Victoria peak via the Tram. What is the Central area is is the TST promenade area

Day 6 - I assume we can areas like the Repulse Bay or Stanley market or just do the malls in the causeway bay area

Day 7 - Suggestions for an outing which can take up to 2 -3 hours, near to our hotel in Sha Tin which we can do and come back to get to the airport for our evening flight.

Again, besides Indian which areas would be a better bet to get more access to Veggie cuisine or atleast restaurants or joints which WOULD serve Veggie as well.

Thanks.

New Delhi
Level Contributor
277 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Structuring Family 6N/7D trip to Hong Kong

Dear BradJill,

Besides the above, pls also let me know, considering HK is a visa-Free location, do you need to carry your passport with you in your day trips, is it required or would it be required to lets say purchase tickets or passes on theme park windows or museums or gardens or maybe topping up Octopus Cards or paying for taxi..

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Structuring Family 6N/7D trip to Hong Kong

>> Question 1: Am assuming Mongkok is not too far from Sha Tin and easily accessible by MTR, Bus or Taxi (if required) <<

Sha Tin to Mong Kok - take MTR. Very convenient. The ride takes less than 15 minutes, with train every 3 to 5 minutes. "Mong Kok East" is the station you want to alight. Follow the signs and walk along the elevated pedestrian walkpaths to descend to Mong Kok (e.g. Mong Kok Road, Fa Yuen Street, etc.)

= = = = =

>> Ques 2: I guess the fireworks at the Castle are sort of the ending of the day. Does it make sense to stay till the end for this or should we leave earlier to avoid the crowds which might be on their way out then. <<

I would stay til the fireworks. Not everyday that you see fireworks over Disney castles (though fake ;) )... Crowds... well there are always crowds in Hong Kong. With MTR to carry volume of people, not too bad.

= = = = =

>> Ques 3: Again for dining, I think exploring the New town plaza would be the better bet <<

Yeah, lots of choices at New Town Plaza. Crowded though.

= = = = =

>> Day 3 - Lantau and Chi Lin Nunnery -

Ques 1 - Again how do you reach lantau. Is there a starting point you have to reach to do the NP Village and how far would be Kowloon for the Chi lin Nunnery <<

Chi Lin is like a detour on your way to Lantau Island. Take MTR to Kowloon Tong Station. Take Kwun Tong Line to Diamond Hill. (Chi Lin)... back... take Kwun Tong Line (other direction) to Prince Edward, transfer to Tsuen Wan Line to Lai King Station, transfer one more time to Tung Chung Line to Tung Chung Station.

= = = = =

>> Day 5 - Peak and Central Area, would mean going to the Victoria peak via the Tram. What is the Central area is is the TST promenade area <<

"Central" is the name of a district in Hong Kong, on Hong Kong Island.

= = = = =

>> >> Day 7 - Suggestions for an outing which can take up to 2 -3 hours, near to our hotel in Sha Tin which we can do and come back to get to the airport for our evening flight. <<

Maybe you can save the visit to 10000 Buddhas Monastery to Day 7. It is perfect for you: within walking distance. Takes 2-3 hours going there, tour, and back.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Structuring Family 6N/7D trip to Hong Kong

>> do you need to carry your passport with you in your day trips, is it required or would it be required to lets say purchase tickets or passes on theme park windows or museums or gardens or maybe topping up Octopus Cards or paying for taxi.. <<

None of those require you to show your passport. There is only a remote possibility that some law-enforcement officers (e.g. policemen) may ask you for your proof of identity. I think you can make some photocopies of your passports to carry with you, and keep your passports in the safe at the hotel.

New Delhi, India
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Structuring Family 6N/7D trip to Hong Kong

Mr RAHUL,

I plan to go to HK in nov14, would like help from your experience.

I am from delhi. 9971876777, npnp74@gmail.com

Kindly contact.

Paul

New Delhi, India
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Structuring Family 6N/7D trip to Hong Kong

BRADJILL,

I want to buy a pair of spectacles, while I am in HK . Genuine and cost effective. I am looking for beta titanium frame and polycarbonate lens .

regards

paul

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,519 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Structuring Family 6N/7D trip to Hong Kong

Chi Lin is a detour heading to Lantau: you can take direct bus from Sha Tin to Tung Chung (E42 from Sha Tin Central Bus terminus). Schedule two hours extra for this detour (a little more if you're also visiting Nan Lian Gardens which is connected to the nunnery).

Or you take MTR from Sha Tin (change in Kowloon Tong) to Diamond Hill, see the nunnery, take bus from there (E22A) to Tung Chung.

Either bus, get off at "Tung Chung Crescent", one short stop behind "Tung Chung Fire Station". For some reason the announcement in the bus tells you to get off at the Fire Station stop to go to the cable car!