We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Hong Kong to China

2 posts
Save Topic
From Hong Kong to China

I will be arriving at HK at the end of March and will be heading to China after that. I am going to go to Shanghai first and then Beijing after that. I have around 13 days to spend in China (Beijing and Shanghai).

I was thinking between flying to China or taking a train. Any suggestions?

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: From Hong Kong to China

Flights recommended. It is crowded on the train, and it also takes much time. Book the flights in advance, you could get a good deal.

Recommend you to stay more days in Beijing rather than Shanghai, 'cause there are too many places worth to explore in Beijing.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Hong Kong to China

The train might be more interesting than a boring old plane! Trains go every other day to either Beijing (23.5 hours (18.5 hours) or Shanghai. You can go by hard sleeper which will be quite crowded or pay a bit more for a soft sleeper in a compartment with 2 or 4 berths.

http://www.seat61.com/China.htm

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/intercity/

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,221 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Hong Kong to China

The "normal" visitor would opt for a flight. Trains are for visitors who like something different.

A hard sleeper is uncomfortable and crowded.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Hong Kong to China

There is also now the option of daytime high-speed trains, leaving from Shenzhen and traveling to Shanghai. This is quite new, and I haven't done it yet myself, so I can't vouch for the comfort or scenery.

If taking the night train, the soft sleeper would be my preference.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,356 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Hong Kong to China

You may want to think about high speed train between Shanghai and Beijing.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Hong Kong to China

How easy is it to travel in China? Do hotels understand most languages such as English? Do hotels offer mini tours as European Hotels do?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,515 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Hong Kong to China

Back to the original question, your options are to fly from HK to Shanghai, take a long overnight train from HK to Shanghai (train runs on alternate days), or cross the border to Shenzhen and take a fast train to Shanghai. And Mercier is wrong, trains are not crowded, they only sell as many tickets as there are seat and these new fast trains are quite comfortable.

@van k - start your own thread. Your topic is unrelated to what is being discussed here. Chinese hotels do not speak "most languages". Only Mandarin and some English. Rarely others.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
122 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Hong Kong to China

If time is not a critical factor, then a train ride should be quite interesting. The high speed trains are clean and comfortable.

Personally I would recommend a flight.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Hong Kong to China

I don't think there is huge difference in costs. Whatever appeals to you is the right choice.

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: From Hong Kong to China

Will it be difficult for me to get train tickets in HK? I was thinking of buying the train ticket to Shanghai when I reach HK on 26th March