We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist Octopus Card

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
424 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist Octopus Card

Hi Guys,

May I know how to get the tourist Octopus card? How much Do I have to pay for it? I am actually confused by Octopus website. Can I get unlimited MTR ride if I purchase the card?

I will be staying at Nathan hotel. Ny comments about it? I will be taking A21 @ $33 from Airport to Nathan Hotel.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist Octopus Card

They are available at any MTR stations including the airport. The card with 2 Airport Express journeys is HK$300, and the card with only 1 Airport Express journey is HK$220. And yes you get 3 days of unlimited MTR rides. If you are not taking Airport Express trains, you don't need these, just get the usual Octopus card.

There is also a 1-day tourist card at HK$50 for 1 day unlimited MTR rides, but this is not an Octopus card and cannot be used for any other transports.

The A21 bus stop is quite near Nathan Hotel, so taking the bus is actually a good choice.

New York
Level Contributor
369 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist Octopus Card

Tin, Would I have to have HKD to buy the Airport Express card when I arrive in HK? Shall I convert some USD to HKD before arriving at the HK airport or will there be ATM machines readily available?

Thanks for your input.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist Octopus Card

crytal,

There are ATMs available at the arrivals hall in the airport. And I think they also accept credit cards as well as HKD cash. If the exchange rates are good in NY, then you can get some HKD cash before leaving home, the current rate is about 7.71.

New York
Level Contributor
369 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist Octopus Card

Hi, Tin, That was a fast response. A somewhat related question:

What is the best way to get to the Intercontinental Grand Stanford from the airport? The Airport Express to Kowloon Station, then the "free" shuttle to the hotel? Is it advisable to take a taxi for 3 people with 3-4 pieces of luggage total? Or is this manageable for the Airport Express or some other public transportation?

Thank you.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist Octopus Card

crytal,

The Airport Express to Kowloon Station should be the way to go.

Next, you can then take the "free" shuttle to the hotel, but its frequency is 24 minutes, if the wait is too long, you can take a taxi, won't be more than 10 USD under normal traffic. The AE trains, shuttle bus, and taxi should be able to accommodate your luggage.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist Octopus Card

crytal,

Sorry, I missed out this question "Is it advisable to take a taxi for 3 people with 3-4 pieces of luggage total?" It is ok to do that, but will cost moe than AE. Luggage can be placed in the boot, if the boot is not big enough, 1 or 2 pieces can be placed on the front passenger seat. Taxi all the way from airport could be faster given the possible long wait time of shuttle bus. AE trains are comfortable, and the train platform is just 1 minute walk from the arrivals hall and you can take the luggage trolleys to the train platform, both the trains and shuttle bus have luggage racks.

Singapore
Level Contributor
424 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist Octopus Card

Hi Tion,

Thanks for your info.

For the usual Octopus card, how much do I need to pay to buy one? How much is the card and how much value is inside the card when I first purchase it?

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist Octopus Card

vinvin,

The usual Octopus card is HK$150 to get, with HK$100 credit balance, and HK$50 deposit. There is a HK$7 fee to return the card to get refund on remaining balance and deposit.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
479 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourist Octopus Card

How do you add value to the card?

I presume you can do this at machines at the MTR stations?

Thx.

:-)

New York
Level Contributor
369 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourist Octopus Card

Tin, Thanks for all the good info you have imparted to us!