We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kam Wa Cafe - Polo Bun

nottingham
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kam Wa Cafe - Polo Bun

I'm interested in trying the famous Polo Bun in Kam Wa Cafe in Mongkok when I visit Hong Kong. I've looked at Openrice and all the photos seem to show that they all have butter in them. I prefer them without any butter. Sorry if this is a silly question but do they sell them without butter?

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,663 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kam Wa Cafe - Polo Bun

>> Sorry if this is a silly question but do they sell them without butter? <<

Of course they do. A polo bun is usually sold by itself. It is also sold with it sliced open in half, slightly, and a thick slice of cold butter inserted. They call it 'Bo Lo Yau' (菠蘿油). And typically priced higher for the butter.

Edited: 8:10 pm, August 25, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,314 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kam Wa Cafe - Polo Bun

Just ask for "Ball Law Bau" instead of "Ball Law Yau." "Bau" is bread/bun. "Yau" is oil/grease so "Ball Law Yau" is the bun with the fresh slice of butter.

Remember to try the HK-style milk tea as well, hot or iced. The combination is a classic of HK.

3. Re: Kam Wa Cafe - Polo Bun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 27, 2014