We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro or Star Ferry to Kowloon??

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
215 reviews
Save Topic
Metro or Star Ferry to Kowloon??

Hello TA Community - My wife & I will be in HK toward the end of Oct. We would like to take the Star Ferry from HK Island back to Kowloon, after watching the Symphony of Lights from The Peak.

Question: Assuming that lots of people (crowds) will be leaving after the light show is over, is it better to take the Metro from Central Station to Tsim Sha Tsui Station or take the Star Ferry back to Kowloon?

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,952 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro or Star Ferry to Kowloon??

Most folks will watch the light show from Tsim Sha Tsui. So I would think the Central to TST ferry won't be packed with people.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro or Star Ferry to Kowloon??

Thanks Justin - We will be watching from TST on another night. Is it worth it to watch from HK island??

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,952 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro or Star Ferry to Kowloon??

I wouldn't watch it twice, it's not that spectacular. If you only had to watch it once, I'd watch it from Tsim Sha Tsui. You won't appreciate it as much from the Peak.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,781 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro or Star Ferry to Kowloon??

There will not be huge crowds. It takes time to come down from the Peak. By the time you get to the ferry terminal there won't be any more than the regular number of people. I agree with Justin that the Peak is not the best location to watch the light show.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,378 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro or Star Ferry to Kowloon??

Agree with Justin. It's not that great of a show but you can combine it as part of your visit to see the harbor view at TST.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,046 posts
5,330 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro or Star Ferry to Kowloon??

If you read up on the TA listing reviews, many find the show disappointing and some downright dislike it. See link

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294217-d5…

It seems ok to me to watch the show if you plan to be on the harbour about that time anyway but I wouldn't plan my evening around it and I would certainly not make an effort to see the show twice. There are plenty of other interesting things you can do after hours in Hong Kong.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro or Star Ferry to Kowloon??

The Peak is not a place from which to view the Symphony of Lights. It's too far away and even when clear you would hardly know its happening. You would also not be able to hear any commentary or music. For vantage points see;

tourism.gov.hk/symphony/…details.html

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro or Star Ferry to Kowloon??

Thanks all for your inputs- After the peak experience, we will head back to Kowloon. We will modify our itinerary to only see the show from TST.

9. Re: Metro or Star Ferry to Kowloon??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 27, 2014