We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Mia Casa Hotel for family trip in November

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
KL
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Staying in Mia Casa Hotel for family trip in November

Hi,

I will be traveling to Hong Kong in November with my husband and 2 young kids (1yo & 6 yo). I have just made my booking at Mia Casa Hotel in Kennedy Town because it is within my budget for a place which could fit my family of 4. I know there is no MTR station within walking distance.

I plan to go to both Disneyland and Ocean Park during my stay in Hong Kong. May I know what is the most convenient and cost efficient way to get to these two places? And how long is the journey?

Also, can anyone recommend some places of interest and good restaurants around the Kennedy Town area?

Thank you.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,805 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Mia Casa Hotel for family trip in November

From Kennedy Town you can take bus #5B to Admiralty. From there to Ocean Park, take Citybus #629. To Disneyland take the MTR to Sunnybay station and change to the Disney line.

KL
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Mia Casa Hotel for family trip in November

Hi ThanksSosialSecurity,

Thanks for your reply. You suggested to take MTR to Disneyland, the nearest MTR station is Sheung Wan station, right? We still need to take a taxi to get to the MTR station?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,805 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Mia Casa Hotel for family trip in November

No bus #58 will take you to MTR stations. I suggested Admiralty because that's where the bus to Ocean Park starts.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Mia Casa Hotel for family trip in November

You can take any of buses 1,5,5B,10 or M47, from Catchick Street to Sheung Wan MTR Station. Catchick Street runs parallel to Hau Wo Street where the hotel is located and the bus stop is about 3 mins walk from Mia Casa. Buses have display panels upstairs and downstairs indicating name of next bus stop. The stop to get off at for Sheung Wan Station is "Wing On Centre, Des Voeux Road Central" on routes 1,5,5B, or M47 or "Hillier Street, Des Voeux Road Central" on route 10.

Alternatively, all trams departing from Kennedy Town Tram Terminus on Catchick Street pass Sheung Wan MTR Station and you can get off at either Macau Ferry Terminal or Hillier Street/Des Voeux Road Central.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,743 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Mia Casa Hotel for family trip in November

If you happen to catch bus M47, instead of using the Sheung Wan MTR Station I would ride it to almost the end - Hong Kong MTR Station. From there, take the MTR Tung Chung Line to Sunny Bay Station, to change to Disney Line to Disneyland. The reason is if you take the MTR from Sheung Wan Station, you would need to alight at Central Station (only 1 stop), then ride the Tsuen Wan Line to Lai King, and then catch the Tung Chung Line to Sunny Bay. The time taken would have been a bit longer - many stops along the way for Tsuen Wan Line.

M47 bus has a headway of 20 minutes after 9:00 am, so I am reluctant to suggest to wait for one.

KL
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Mia Casa Hotel for family trip in November

Thanks all for your reply! Much appreciated.

May I know how frequent are the buses and trams run between Kennedy Town and the MTR stations mentioned above? I need to estimate how long the journey will take including the waiting time.

Since I am traveling with 2 young kids, I'm concern if we could get a seat on the buses and trams. May I know if it will be crowded normally and is it possible to get a seat instead of standing?

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Mia Casa Hotel for family trip in November

If you take the tram you'll be boarding at the terminus and should be able to get on an empty tram and sit in the upstairs front seats which are great for sightseeing and the kids should like. Trams run from Kennedy Town at intervals of about 2 to 5 mins from 5am to midnight and the journey to Sheung Wan Station takes about 20 mins.

Buses are faster and also frequent, I doubt that you would have to wait more than 5 mins. There may be a possibility of having to stand on a crowded bus at peak times but I travel everywhere by bus in HK, mostly off-peak, and can't remember the last time I didn't get a seat. In fact there's currently a rationalisation of Hong Kong's bus routes taking place because too many buses are running around half empty.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Mia Casa Hotel for family trip in November

It is a pity that you will visit HK less than a year before the MTR opens.

To go to the ocean park, I would recommended taking the westbound M47 to the terminus, or 971 to Aberdeen and transfer to either 48, 73 or 973 from there. A seat is guaranteed if a double-decker bus is used. Moreover, M47 and 971 are scenic routes running through the coast of the island and I highly recommend them.

For the return journey, I recommended you to walk to the Aberdeen tunnel entrance and take a bus to Central. Any which displays Central is OK, then take a bus back to Kennedy Town. Any which displays Kennedy Town is OK. The view will be very different from the above because it goes through the CBD instead of rural areas.

To Disneyland, I recommended you to take an airport bus A10 and transfer to R8 after crossing Tsing Ma Bridge. Return is the same. A10 runs with a 30-minute headway so I suggest you to check the time on Citybus website before leaving.

For attractions near Kennedy Town, I recommended you to visit Mount Davis. There are batteries used in war time. You may just take westbound bus 5, 971 or M47 for a few stops there, get off at Felix Villas and walk up the hill.

Or you may take a hike from Kennedy Town, through Pokfield Road, then go up the Peak. You will actually pass through the peak (not really the top point because it is a radio station, but already close enough to the peak).

The University of Hong Kong is also near Kennedy Town. The new Centennial Campus yields a high contrast with the main building, which is a declared monument.

You may also want to visit SKY100, which is located at the top of ICC, the highest building in Hong Kong. It is reachable by cross-harbour buses 904 and 971 from Kennedy Town, which is 15 minutes away. Get off immediately after crossing the harbour. However, notice the opening hour and entrance fee of that.

KL
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Mia Casa Hotel for family trip in November

Hi SolentTraveller, thanks for the info. I feel relief hearing that the buses are normally not that crowded off-peak.

Michael, thanks for all the recommendations! If I visit HK after the MTR to Kennedy Town opens, I guess the room rates in the hotels around this area will be more expensive then. :-)

Edited: 12:17 pm, July 21, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,678 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Mia Casa Hotel for family trip in November

Taking airport bus A10+R8 from Kennedy Town to Disneyland is an expensive proposition, at $40 a head ($20 for child 3-12). I would suggest the MTR ($23.4/$11.7), and you get to ride the special Disney themed train on the Disney Line.

A quick way from Kennedy Town to Hong Kong Station (where you would catch the MTR Tung Chung Line for Disney) would be to board bus 5X at Catchick Street. The first stop after leaving the expressway would be the 2-IFC building near the ferry piers. You can enter the station either at ground level by crossing the road to the station entrance, or via the elevated pedestrian walkway into the IFC mall (you will see the big Apple store) which has escalators down to the station.

5X comes every 8-10 minutes, which is frequent enough. If you would rather not wait, you can still get on the slower routes (1,5,5B,10) and get off at the Hang Seng Bank Headquarters in Central, then walk up the elevated footbridge to IFC mall and Hong Kong Station.

Edited: 10:40 pm, July 21, 2013