We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kowloon vs Discovery Bay

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Kowloon vs Discovery Bay

Hi,

I am staying in Hong Kong for 2 nighst on teh way out to Sydney an dthen 4 nights on the way back.

I've never been to Hong Kong but have an offer of a reduced rate stay of HKD 990 in a Discovery Bay Hotel.

That seems to be quite a saving on anywhere else and whilst I know it's a 25 min ferry ride to HK Island/Kowloon what I need to know is would I really feel like I am missing out.

Should I splash some cash and pay at least twice as much to stay in the action.

The trip is over Christmas and early Jan so the weather won't be great I guess if that affects anything.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kowloon vs Discovery Bay

Actually the weather IS great over Christmas tho chilly for locals. No typhoons as such so you're not likely to be cut off by rough seas. Personally though I'd stay elsewhere.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,598 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kowloon vs Discovery Bay

Newly opened Auberge is the only hotel in Discovery Bay. DB is an expat stronghold in a scenic location with lots of its residents commuting into HK's financial districts. It has plenty of bars, restaurants and a good (artificial) beach. Like you say it's 25 mins by ferry from Central but for some attractions such the Big Buddha and Disneyland on Lantau Island it's better placed than most tourist districts of HK. It has frequent shuttle bus services to the airport, which is only about 25 mins away and Sunny Bay Station, about 10 mins journey from where you can connect to the MTR system and reach most districts of HK fairly easily. If you like the outdoors there are some good hiking trails around DB. If you don't mind the travelling time to Central and don't want to be popping back to the hotel during the daytime and you can get a good rate then this is a good option in my opinion. A few photos of Auberge and the surroundings taken shortly before it opened;

flickr.com/photos/…

More about Discovery Bay;

www.ddeck.com.hk/icms2/template?series=264

During Xmas/ New Year period temp can be anywhere from about 12C to low 20's, usually dry and can be sunny but often overcast and gloomy with poor visibility.

Edited: 4:40 pm, June 12, 2013
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,932 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kowloon vs Discovery Bay

You would not feel like you are staying in HK if you stay at Disco Bay. It's an area catering to the western expats. I'd strongly suggest you stay in the city.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
871 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kowloon vs Discovery Bay

DB is like a huge westernised bubble where you can find almost no hint of the real HK. If you plan to spend some time exploring Lantau then it may be a good spot, but if you want to absorb some real HK culture, give it a miss.

5. Re: Kowloon vs Discovery Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 15, 2014