We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cosmo Mongkok vs Royal Plaza

Pune, India
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Cosmo Mongkok vs Royal Plaza

Which one is better? Both are offering the similar rates. But with Cosmo mongkok, breakfast included.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,696 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cosmo Mongkok vs Royal Plaza

>> downstairs is a some kind of mall or transit center, sits on top of a subway, but not the main subway(?). <<

I can fill in with a little bit of history. Royal Plaza is near the now "Mong Kok East" MTR Station. That railroad, now called "East Rail Line", was the one and only railroad in Hong Kong established over a hundred years ago. It is the one that runs all the way up to Guangzhou. Then in the late 70's, the MTR built subways in Hong Kong. MTR and KCR (Kowloon-Canton Railway) used to be 2 separate companies, running separate tracks. But in 2007, KCR and MTR merged into one entity. The old KCR "Mong Kok" station has been renamed Mong Kok East Station to eliminate confusions on 2 Mong Kok Stations. The KCR tracks and MTR tracks don't really merge though. Passengers need to walk to different platforms (different tracks) to transfer at Kowloon Tong or Hung Hum. The East Rail Line is not really a "subway". All of it is above ground. Only goes through some tunnels.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,776 posts
5,798 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cosmo Mongkok vs Royal Plaza

>>>>We accidentally walked into Lady Street market which is very close to it, a big night market, there is also a koi fish aquarium street nearby. Short walk to another main subway that goes to HK<<<<

You are describing the Mongkok Markets. The goldfish market is one of my personal favorites. You can find all manner of interesting pet types there including tortoises, frogs, exotic fish and even creepy crawlies like rhino beetles, large scorpions and other things that you might not want to see in your house. ;-)

Here is a list of the Mongkok Market scene you are describing.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24685-Mongkok_…

Hope this is useful.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,383 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cosmo Mongkok vs Royal Plaza

The aquarium street was well worth the round trip taxi fares from Marco Polo hotel, our aim was not the Lady street market but the koi stores, we were not disappointed. There are this new trend of aquarium with no fish but underwater gardens, magnificent underwater salt water landscaping. By not having the usual tropical fish, they reached a higher plateau in unique water landscape designs. Wish I live in HK so that I can buy one of those.

Everyone has different needs for hotels, my top criteria is always location, location and location, I want everything right outside my hotel, not "only 5-10 minutes walk." Royal Plaza was not my choice but opened my eyes to a brand new world.

I think that was the Lady street market on a street with a vegetable name, cannot remember what kind of vegetable, something weird, broccoli or cucumber.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,696 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cosmo Mongkok vs Royal Plaza

>> I think that was the Lady street market on a street with a vegetable name, cannot remember what kind of vegetable, something weird, broccoli or cucumber. <<

LOL! Ladies Market is on Tung Choi Street. In Cantonese, Tung Choi = Chinese Watercress, or water spinach. Ipomoea aquatica. In Cantonese "Tung" means hollow. The hollow vegetable.

15. Re: Cosmo Mongkok vs Royal Plaza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 15, 2014