We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good places to meet people if you are shy

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yorks
Level Contributor
915 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Good places to meet people if you are shy

I want to try make a few friends during the 3 months or so that I'll be in HK.

Otherwise, it will be a lonely trip.

I am not the most confident person but I think I am easy going and can converse with most people. I am a little shy.

Are there any suggestions where people go to make friends?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,789 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good places to meet people if you are shy

Try cafes in general, even Starbucks, or many of the ones at SoHo. Classified at Hollywood Road in particular has a big table downstairs and upstairs which you share with others.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,296 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good places to meet people if you are shy

What do you do back home? Same there.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good places to meet people if you are shy

Three months is a long time for Hong Kong. Friendships are made in the most unexpected circumstances. I complained to the young attendant in our hotel on Mainland China about a group of people smoking in the only common seating area in the hotel. There was a "no smoking sign". His English was limited but I think he told us that his boss was entertaining very important friends.

When I asked him if we were important he took it personally. He told my husband his mother grows green tea and he would bring some for us. The next day he arrived for work with the tea. He exchanged email addresses with my husband and was corresponding with us before we even left China! He has offered to send more tea.

Yorks
Level Contributor
915 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good places to meet people if you are shy

Thanks for the tips guys.

If I follow what I do at home, I will end up in McDonalds (again) and people here keep telling me to go experience localities and not evil corporation.

In McDs I sometimes offer discount vouchers to others and that is good way to start conversation. From asking here, it doesn't seem McDs do similar vouchers in HK so I can't use same tactic.

I have not thought complaining would be a good way to meet friends and I am always very nervous about complaining to someone in case they get angry. But if nothing else works I will try complain at some staff and see if that breaks the ice for them to come bowling with me later.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good places to meet people if you are shy

I think it's whether you are justified when you complain and being Australian always helps. Everyone loves Aussies - I can't help you there unless you wish to emigrate.

Yorks
Level Contributor
915 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good places to meet people if you are shy

True it's hard not to like the Aussie Accent.

We Brits don't complain though. If food is poor and waiter asks if everything is fine, we smile and say 'yes lovely thank you'.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good places to meet people if you are shy

I suppose it's a bit different if you're allergic to cigarette smoke, you're choking and the manager of the hotel is sitting in the only guest lounge area of the hotel (which has a no smoking sign on the wall) with his mates. In a Monty Python movie you would be allowed to pass out on the floor! I hadn't thought of that before!

But Bin came to the rescue and he is now my husband's new best friend!

Yorks
Level Contributor
915 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good places to meet people if you are shy

Okay, but in Britain, we would cough and splutter "yes lovely thanks" and then not frequent the place ever again. We may go have a cup of tea (elsewhere) and moan about it there, but not to the manager/owner/corporation of the place where the service was bad.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good places to meet people if you are shy

Oops I meant "Fawlty Towers". That fell flat didn't it!

The moral of the story Vanilla is that you just won't make friends with that mindset! b:-)(

Edited: 6:31 am, May 04, 2013
Yorks
Level Contributor
915 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good places to meet people if you are shy

Haha yes. Also, never beat your car with a tree branch! No matter how angry you are!