We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining options at Peninsular hotel & costs.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Dining options at Peninsular hotel & costs.

Hi all, a couple of people have recommended a trip to the Peninsular hotel for either high tea or early diner to watch the light show.

Which would you recommend? Have you done both? What are the costs for these? The web site does not list prices.

Thank you.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,580 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining options at Peninsular hotel & costs.

Isn't that what they say: if you need to ask about the price, you can't afford it?

Just kidding.

Out of the few restaurants at The Peninsula, I believe only Felix can offer a good view for the light show. Per openrice's rating, the price scale is HKD $301 - $500 (pp). My personal guess is it would be more towards the HKD $500 end, or above.

www.openrice.com/english/restaurant/sr2.htm…

The Symphony of Lights starts at 8pm. It is a prime time for dinner, and not considered an early dinner. Reservation is probably needed.

The Pen's High Tea is set at HKD $300 pp now I believe.

Openrice's reviews and pictures:

www.openrice.com/restaurant/sr2.htm…

Edited: 4:47 pm, May 01, 2013
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,580 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining options at Peninsular hotel & costs.

After reading some of the reviews on Felix, I think Openrice's price rating on Felix is low.

Depending on what you order, of course. But for a dinner, with drinks, dessert, appetizers, etc.., it will probably be from HKD $700 - $1000.

Here is what some reviewers said:

But what REALLY HURT considering that we paid over HK$1,100 per head was how STINGY / SMALL the food was ....

...... AND THE COST OF THE BOTTLED WATER : HK$784 = USD100 just for 8 bottles which I am sure was just tap water, even though it was served from a bottle marked " Evian" that looked like no Evian bottle I ever saw in my life ) . And to make it worse - we were never told that they charged for water !

Source: openrice.com/english/restaurant/reviews.htm…

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,430 posts
5,642 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining options at Peninsular hotel & costs.

No views but Chesa is a nice, Swiss cuisine, restaurant in the Peninsula.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
47 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining options at Peninsular hotel & costs.

Hi, I see your reply regarding the Peninsular Hotel Hong Kong - I had a business associate mention to me something about a meal at the Peninsular - I didn't think it was high tea.... I remember she said it was $A100 (so that doesn't fit with the high tea price) and included some lovely champagne. Are you aware of any other set menu buffets etc at the peninsular will be in Hong Kong October, and thought it would be nice to go. Any help greatly appreciated

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,430 posts
5,642 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining options at Peninsular hotel & costs.

>>>I remember she said it was $A100<<<<

Was this per person or per person?

Either way, if your friend experienced a buffet arrangement then she probably had dinner at the Verandah at Peninsula. See link (w/pictures)

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g294217-d7…

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,089 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining options at Peninsular hotel & costs.

Peninsula high tea - nice if it is the kind of thing you enjoy. Try to go on weekdays, weekends are guaranteed to be like a zoo.

The symphony of light, no nice venue from peninsula hotel, I prefer if you MUST see it over dinner, then Harbourside in Intercontinental hotel is good, with its very deluxe dinner buffet. Reservations are needed at least two weeks prior.

Personally, one can enjoy the Symphony of lights best ....on the seawall or at the Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel sixth floor parking lot. It is outdoor, and it is free !

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
89 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining options at Peninsular hotel & costs.

The food outlets in Peninsula are all good but Felix's the only one with a good view of the night show. Felix's more like a drinking place rather than a dinning place but the food's very OK, not the best in Peninsula but very hype fusion food with the same Peninsula lovely bread fr the basket.

Gaddis is the best dinning place there but it's also the priciest. One of the best French food in town and the place's adorable.

Chesa's the Swiss restaurant with a cozy homey ambience.

Spring Moon got pretty good Cantonese food to offer. I love its BBQ pork.

Even Verandah, the buffet place, is pretty nice with a gd variety of food.

High tea's at The Lobby and it's really the most Peninsula experience that people's after. No reservation and the queue can be long even on a weekday.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,883 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining options at Peninsular hotel & costs.

My pick would be Chesa. For Peninsula, it actually offers value-for-money in my opinion with excellent food and top-notch service. You can go there after watching SOL show. Make an 8:30 booking but you will need to book days in advance.

Most Peninsula restaurants are pricey overall. Allow $800 to $1,000 HK per person. Your actual spending will varying depending on how many courses you get and your beverage consumption.

9. Re: Dining options at Peninsular hotel & costs.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 05, 2014