We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

We're on a tight budget and i am not too impressed with the choices for Hostels in Hong Kong (including Dragon Hostel which seems to be the popular recommendation).

I've had many great experiences with airbnb in other countries, but i know it's highly dependent on the local laws and the culture. For instance, i heard from a chinese friend not to use in in mainland because of scams.

I thought it might be wise to ask the Hong Kong experts what they thought about the use of this site for their location.

Is it "legal"?

Anything i should be weary about?

London, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

Not sure what your budget is but try the LBP hotel or the butterfly hotel chain they have about 4 hotels.

I usually use air bnb but was very concerned that a lot of the apartments seem to be in massive blocks , tiny and I was concerned about security and fire safety.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,344 posts
5,578 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

Hello Sylve684,

We've not put up guests in Airbnb accommodations but reference to Airbnb comes up on this forum from time to time. Here is a link to a quick search I just did, 3 pages of references. Would be worth reading through these and potentially contacting TA Members that have indicated having used Airbnb accommodations here.

Good luck and if you find some places you are interested in, you can post the area and location here. One of us is bound to be familiar with the area and perhaps even the building or block in which the accommodation is located.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
449 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

I used Wimdu (exactly the same concept as Airbnb) in Dec/Jan and the place i stayed was excellent with everything was a stated. The room was better than any hostel I had stayed at and much cheaper than any hotel I have stayed at.

I have booked one of his smaller units for my upcoming stay next month direct with him as he no longer advertise's on Wimdu.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

Using Airbnb for when we go in a few weeks Can't see anything wrong with the company, fingers crossed.

Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

Hi. Why there are no actual phone & address of the apartment being disclosed in airbnb? Anyway to verify them before booking? I found this newly renovated family pandora suite in jordan.the rooms look very nice but my fren advised not to book through airbnb as theyr iillegal.any advice?thanks.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,202 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

You are right to be concerned. There have been warnings about airbnb and other websites offering unlicensed accommodation in HK. See this press report from earlier this year;

scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1132603/top-…

Edited: 5:41 am, October 06, 2013
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

Oh.thanks for your reply.i think I shouldn't risk myself.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

Reporting back.

We booked with airbnb for two accommodations in HK and Beijing respectively. Had a wonderful experience with both rentals, as usual :)

About the address, the principle is that this is a person's home (though often these are people sitting on property renting it out until they sell). You get the exact address when you book or if you ask the person through IM.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

I'm booked for a few nights in dec using AirBnB. Place has lots of great reviews. *fingers crossed nothing happens

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

We also completed our stay in Hong Kong with an Airbnb apartment, had no problems right in the middle of MongKok.