We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to frequent in the hope of meeting HK celeb?

Yorks
Level Contributor
914 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Places to frequent in the hope of meeting HK celeb?

Are there any places (besides waxworks :)) where I stand a better chance of meeting any HK film/canto pop stars?

I have an autograph book and would love to get some signatures while in HK.

Who's big in Cantopop these days? I must confess to listening to some Faye several years ago despite not understanding Cantonese.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,350 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to frequent in the hope of meeting HK celeb?

My advice is to forget about the idea. Everywhere anybody-who-worths-some-salts goes, there will be walls of "fun see" (fans). You may get seriously injured fighting these people to get an autograph.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
659 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to frequent in the hope of meeting HK celeb?

The best place is probably going to a concert which is usually held at Hong Kong Coliseum. Tickets can be tough to get though for top singers. Google the place for current concert info. Really hard to say who's big these days...everyone will have a different opinion for sure.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,075 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to frequent in the hope of meeting HK celeb?

I really can't think of any place where the stars hang out on a consistent basis. They often go to paid functions at shopping malls, especially during weekdays. Other than that, it's just luck of the draw.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,234 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to frequent in the hope of meeting HK celeb?

Get tickets for a live recording session at TVB? (I don't know how, though.)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to frequent in the hope of meeting HK celeb?

Hmm, without their make ups, costume,and most probably they will be with hats, sunglasses---they walked past you also you do not know.

I have had three opportunities of this sort..and it is only my wife sharp observation(and she is really good in this department) able to recognise a person.

There was once(but not HK celeb),but a Malaysian celeb, standing in front of me in a immigration line (my wife was next to me,in the other line),and she whisper to me..celeb in front of you,but she could not recall the name...then said celeb,turned around,gave me a smile, then I just said " my wife tells me you are a celeb", then she nod her head , you know the next thing I asked " what is your name?" she gave me her first name..then bells whistles came to my head..and I said her full name...after immigration, we walked abreast together and talked until the meeting point,and I spotted my hotel limo rep,and whilst hotel limo rep went to take the car..we just continued talking---just a passing moment--no autograph whatso ever.

In fact, for HK celeb, the place I saw one..was the least expected..in a cafe close to my neighborhood in Fortress Hill...and I did not recognise at all..wife did- celeb was in the most casual attire- shorts and slippers..and this is quite a real big celeb--actor/singer and host for many TV events- when he is usually smartly dressed.

Then it was another HK celeb, holidaying in KK,and one is the best, a HK celeb, in a local kopitiam in KL's suburb (it is like HK's Cha Chaan Teng) having lunch.

And one more, we past each other with exchange of smiles along Nathan Road , near Peninsula Hotel shopping arcade-with just a greeting " how are you?" and smiled.

So as HappyFeet1234 mentioned--yep,forget the idea,but keep it in mind,and you never know,and when it takes place..you had left your autograph book in your residence.

Unless you want to stand outside TVB station.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to frequent in the hope of meeting HK celeb?

Hong Kong is tiny yet you don't get to see the celebs as often as you'd think you can see them. I wonder where they hang out, eat and if they do any shopping in Hong Kong at all.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,350 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to frequent in the hope of meeting HK celeb?

These days, the only sanctuary for these celeb may be the first class cabin while they travel. Once they are out of airport's restricted area, there will be mobs of people surrounding them, fans or paparazzi. Cell phones, SMS, twitters, all makes their tracks so hard to hide. Some have to disguise to go out.

Shopping... they probably have ammas to take care of that. Eating... maid/cook works for them at home. When eating out, probably get a private room and use backdoors.

To see a celeb for sure, you probably need to attend their appearances. They have to show up by contract. But... thus... need to fight other fans to get photo-opp/autograph.

I see it all the times... people coming to Hollywood and fancy that they will see Al Pacino or Leo DiCaprio or someone just by hanging out at Beverly Hills restaurants or something. :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to frequent in the hope of meeting HK celeb?

Ah..in fact, another occasion, but not really big name-i.e. A league,but do command some recognition... actress, with a whole entourage enter through back door,and eating at Pak Lor Chew Chow restaurant branch in Fortress Hill.

Hmm...lucky me staying in Fortress Hill..haha.

It was evening,and actress (also in early days, I was told Temple St singer lor) in sunglasses and whilst eating(my table was just two tables away, to her and entourage table), sunglasses also on. ... you want to see longer, ah in HK -someone is going to say with a high voice and embarrass you- " see what, have not seen pretty actress before".

Yorks
Level Contributor
914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to frequent in the hope of meeting HK celeb?

Thanks, I will stalk TVB station (if I can find out where it is) and maybe eat alot in Planet Hollywood (I know one day, Arnie, Bruce or Sly will come check on staff and for a burger).

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,350 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to frequent in the hope of meeting HK celeb?

They probably wouldn't know which planet their Planet Hollywood is on. :)