We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations on places to stopover on way to hong kong

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations on places to stopover on way to hong kong

Hi,

I've been to Hong Kong a few times as an independant traveller in my 20s and now I want my children to experience this wonderful city in easter 2014. They will be 12, 15 and 17. Looking at the flight time it is a long time to be cooped up in a plane, especially for the children, and I thought it might help to break up the journey with a stop over. Does anyone have any advice on good places to visit where it is easy to do this and where it is safe for the children? Does it make the overall airline journey more expensive or do some airlines offer free stopovers?

Hilary

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,198 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations on places to stopover on way to hong kong

From England, I think Thailand is one obvious stop over place. But I think out of a 15 hr flight, stopping off will just prolong the journey. Young kids are very adaptable. Unless you really want a holiday in Thailand and HK, I see no real reason to stop off. Are you going to stop off on the way back too? That just adds a lot more time and expenses.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations on places to stopover on way to hong kong

Stopovers are often free because it's an inconvenient way to go. In fact with a stopover is often cheaper than direct flight, because business people take direct flights and they don't care how much they pay :-). This site will do the working out for you. You need to put in the airport though not just the city.

https://www.hipmunk.com/flights/LHR-to-HKG#!dates=Apr17,May06&pax=1

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations on places to stopover on way to hong kong

Hi,

I was thinking stop over on the way out and direct on the way back on the grounds that when you are leaving a place you just want to get back but have more energy on the way out. You might be right about just going for it although unless we get a non stop flight - which seems to be extremely expensive - the indirect flights seem to average 17 - 20 hours. The non stops seem to take around 12 - 13 hours but we can't afford to go much about £700 return - ideally less.

I did think about Thailand as I know Bankok quite well and it's easy to get around but wasn't sure how safe it is at the moment. Trouble seems to keep flaring up but then maybe I watch too many news shows that only focus in the bad.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Hilary

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,198 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations on places to stopover on way to hong kong

Trouble in Thailand at the moment? I don't know what you are talking about.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,786 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations on places to stopover on way to hong kong

Dubai or Doha is about midway between UK and HK, so the two flight legs would be about the same duration. But you should check transit times if you don't plan to go out of the airport.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,241 posts
5,491 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations on places to stopover on way to hong kong

Bangkok is a great option but it is already a very long flight from the UK as well so why not just fly all the way into Hong Kong which isn't much longer a flight. If a break-up is very important for you, I think Dubai is your best option. Qatar airlines can get you through Doha as well but Dubai seems the better choice in this regard. Aeroflot can take you through Moscow, but the need for visa arrangements there might turn you off of this location and some don't like flying with Aeroflot. In the end, Dubai seems to be the best option.

If you just want to see another city during your trip, than Bangkok or Singapore stop-overs make good options. Singapore isn't on the way to HK though, it would make a bit of a detour route. However, its a great city to visit, well worth considering as well.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,786 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations on places to stopover on way to hong kong

I've read that the New Doha Int'l Airport will be opening later this year. May become a good contender against Dubai.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations on places to stopover on way to hong kong

It depends a bit on the interests of your kids. If they enjoy exotic culture, crocodile farms, etc. then Bangkok would be great. If they would like to experience another, cleaner side of the tropics then Singapore is fun (and they will enjoy the Night Safari, Universal Studios theme park, etc.) Another real possibility would be to fly on one of the Chinese airlines, and take your stopover in Beijing -- but only if they are history buffs and would be interested in seeing the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Lama Temple, etc. If they are not really interested then the hassle factor in Beijing (congested transport, lousy air) would mitigate in favor of one of the others.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
544 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations on places to stopover on way to hong kong

Doesn't make sense to go to Bangkok. The flight time from the UK is pretty much the same as coming to HK. Dubai is a good choice. Even with Doha's new airport, Dubai has far more tourist attractions than Doha at the moment.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations on places to stopover on way to hong kong

For a "stopover" on the way, that would put you in the middle east countries from the U.K., wouldn't it?

If you fly to Thailand (or Singapore, or Malaysia or the Phillipines) or Bejing, that flight is just about as long as the flight to Hong Kong (or even longer in the case of Beijing). Then you would break up your flight from London to Bangkok????

Maybe India?