We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it better to book a night in Hong Kong or Shenzhen?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huntsville, Alabama
4 posts
Save Topic
Is it better to book a night in Hong Kong or Shenzhen?

Hello,

I'm going to be arriving in Hong Kong International Airport on May 1st at 7:45 pm. I'm trying to get to Guangzhou but I'm not sure if I'll be able to catch a train that evening since that last one listed on the MTR Intercity is at 8 pm. So now I have to think about staying the night in Hong Kong or Shenzhen.

I wanted to know, is it better to pay a little extra and stay in Hong Kong for the night and then the next morning catch the train straight to Guangzhou? Or is it better for me to take the subway/metro from Hong Long to Kowloon station and from there try to make it to Shenzhen for the night? There are some cheaper hotels there. I also looked on google maps and saw that Shenzhen is north of Hong Kong so it's kind of on the way my destination of Guangzhou.

I know taking the train from Kowloon to Guangzhou is about 2 hours 15 minutes. If I take the train from Kowloon to Shenzhen I read that it can take up to an hour. Again, I'm just not sure if it's worth the headache to stay the night in Shenzhen.

If it's better to stay the night in Hong Kong since I'll be coming off a 29 hour flight journey then are there any hotels you can recommend with affordable prices?

Lastly, are there two different trains from Hong Kong to Guangzhou? A high speed and a regular one? Where do I find the prices for the high speed one?

I appreciate all the help anyone can provide me.

Thank you.

6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it better to book a night in Hong Kong or Shenzhen?

You can stay at hostel or guesthouse in hk area. It is more worth it and wont hassle you too much

6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it better to book a night in Hong Kong or Shenzhen?

You can stay at hostel or guesthouse in hk area. It is more worth it and wont hassle you too much

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,202 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it better to book a night in Hong Kong or Shenzhen?

There are frequent coach services from the airport to Guangzhou. Last departure 22-15;

http://tinyurl.com/3df3nv4

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,054 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it better to book a night in Hong Kong or Shenzhen?

Coach would be your best choice. There are also ferries to Shekou, which is the port for SZ. Getting into China will save you time & money, esp as you won't need to get HK$ as well.

Huntsville, Alabama
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it better to book a night in Hong Kong or Shenzhen?

I'm just worried that it's going to be a lot of headache to get to Shenzhen from HK. This is the hotel I'm thinking about going to:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g297415-d158641…

Can someone please give me the simplest directions to get to it from Hong Kong airport with timing? I was told the Shenzhen Rail Station is only 5-10 minutes walk from it. IS this true?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,336 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it better to book a night in Hong Kong or Shenzhen?

I would suggest you to skip Shenzhen. Take SolentTraveller's suggestion. Take a coach from the airport to Guangzhou the same night. Train is not the only available mean to travel from Hong Kong (Kowloon) to Guangzhou.

The journey takes about 3 hours, and you will be in Guangzhou for the night. Going to Shenzhen, it will take 1 to 1.5 hour to reach your hotel. And you need to pack up the next day.

Huntsville, Alabama
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it better to book a night in Hong Kong or Shenzhen?

Ok. I really appreciate all the advise. Will it be easy to get on a coach from the airport or should I book in advance?

Thanks,

Khalid

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,922 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it better to book a night in Hong Kong or Shenzhen?

Neither. Book a hotel in Guangzhou guaranteed for late arrival. No point in going to Shenzhen if Guangzhou is your destination. Coach is your friend. It should be easy to get on one at Hong Kong airport, which is well-organized for these sorts of connections and if you need help, just ask there. Here's something that might help:

hongkongairport.com/eng/transport/transport-…

There are multiple options for providers and for routes, so it would be helpful to know where you want to end up in Guangzhou that night, to choose a proximal route.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,336 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it better to book a night in Hong Kong or Shenzhen?

I don't think there is any need to book in advance - stay flexible for any unanticipated changes (plane delay, etc.). Late in the evening, I don't think those cross-border coaches will be full. (If so, you can still have a backup plan to go to Shenzhen but I don't think you will have a problem.)

You can buy the tickets at the airport. The coach depot is just on the other side of Terminal 1 (they are in terminal 2 but both terminals are interconnected with walkpaths). You can easily reach the coach depot with your luggage cart.

Huntsville, Alabama
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it better to book a night in Hong Kong or Shenzhen?

Awesome. I really appreciate the advise. By the way, is there anyway to get a sim card from the airport as soon as I land? If there is, do you know of any plans that will give me unlimited 3g internet for a month or least 1-2 gigs? I need it to talk back home with family. I also need to make sure I have a sim so I can let my friend know in Guangzhou how things are going. Thanks again!