We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for things to do early in HK

Yorks
Level Contributor
914 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for things to do early in HK

Reading in one of the other threads, someone mentioned not much opens before 10 or 11 am.

I tend to get up well before that time and since I'll be in HK a while I'm wondering what the best tips are for early morning HK.

Shopping malls not even open at that time?

I may have to re-think what my daily routine will be. Should I go out later then stay out later.

International Commerce Centre
Architectural Buildings, Shopping Malls
Stanley, Hong Kong
Historic Walking Areas, Flea & Street Markets
Harbour City
Shopping Malls,
IFC mall
Architectural Buildings, Shopping Malls,
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for things to do early in HK

go to Macca's ;)

Yorks
Level Contributor
914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for things to do early in HK

Sausage and egg mcmuffin la! I'll get tired of them after a week.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
23 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for things to do early in HK

Indeed, shops tend to open at around 10am. Many groceriy stores and pharmacies open earlier though. I am an early riser too and in HK - Go to one of the parks and walk around, do some tai chi. You can go to the peak and walk around. If you would like to go to one of the attractions such as ocean park, disneyland, or go to the big buddha, you can travel early and be an early bird at the place. In HK we tend to go to such attractions at opening time since they are much less crowded at this time. After noon, especially weekends, tends to get crowded everywhere so I would recommend to use the time before 12 noon if you prefer less crowds.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for things to do early in HK

ha. Anyway I can't nswer you question. When we go we will have a 2 year old and a 4 year old, so will be up at 7am every day arghh. So am wanting to fill in mornings too. Hotel pool will be good for this, as well as walks around the gardens and waterfront etc.. Stuff that doesn't 'need' to be open.|

the late nights will suit me as will get the kids sorted for bed then say "see ya" to hubby and hit the malls! Last place he would want to be anyway ;)

Yorks
Level Contributor
914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for things to do early in HK

You shop, I'll meet your hubby to find a Bar with a Pool table. We can all meet at McD's for Muffin and Happy meals for the kids.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,016 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for things to do early in HK

While the shops are generally not open until 10am or later, many tourist attractions - those that are outdoor (e.g. Avenue of the Stars, Bauhinia Square, Hong Kong Park, The Peak, etc.) are all good to visit. So are temples - Wong Tai Sin, Chin Lin Nunnery and Lian Nin Garden, 10000 Buddha Monastery, all open early. Po Lin Monastery itself opens early - 8:00 am, though the cable car Ngong Ping 360 doesn't open until 10:00 am on weekdays. You can take the Lantao Bus 23 to go up to Ngong Ping though. The Mong Kok Flower Market opens as early as 7 am. The Bird Market also opens early too I think.

You see... you still have plenty of choices. Just need to plan your itinerary a little differently if you are an early riser.

Yorks
Level Contributor
914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for things to do early in HK

Can I play chess with a local at that time?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
236 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips for things to do early in HK

Very interesting question. I usually avoid the senior citizens at the park.... I suppose they're into Chinese chess only?

Yorks
Level Contributor
914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips for things to do early in HK

I'm not sure what Chinese Chess is. I have a memory from a childhood visit to HK that it was really early and as usual HK was already bustling (to which I was surprised). I remember seeing some seniors sat outside and thought they were playing chess.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,016 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips for things to do early in HK

Most likely playing Chinese Chess. You can ask them. I am sure they would love to take your money. ;)