We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong layover - is this plan realistic?

Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hong Kong layover - is this plan realistic?

I have a layover in Hong Kong both ways. I want to go into the city and see a few things, but I don't want to be rushed or stressed about making it back to the airport in time, so I'm wondering if these two plans are realistic and still give me enough time at each site to enjoy it:

My flight arrives in Hong Kong at 7:40 am. Figuring 60 minutes to deplane, get through customs and store my bag and get an octopus card, let's say I leave the airport at 8:40 am

This is what I'd like to do:

Take the train to central, go up the Peak

Catch the 12:15 harbor tour boat for one round-trip (is this worth it, or is the regular ferry just as good?)

take the train from central to TST and wander around

return to the airport by 3:30 pm (15:30) to catch my 5:30 pm (17:30) flight.

On my way back, I have a similar layover.

I arrive at HKG at 6:00 am, again, assuming an hour to leave the airport

take the train to the diamond hill stop, visit the Chi Lin nunnery and Nan Lian Garden

take the train back to Lantau and visit the Big Buddha

Return to the airport by 2:30 pm to catch my 4:30 pm flight.

I'm open to other suggestions. I'm not particularly interested in shopping, unless it's at a traditional-style market where you can wander around and see/experience new things, not a regular mall with regular stores.

Thanks!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong layover - is this plan realistic?

Personally I'd just take the Star Ferry. You then bypass the steps going to Kowloon from HK, you'd already be in Kowloon. You can take the Star Ferry a couple of times. Otherwise it looks good to me.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong layover - is this plan realistic?

Yes, agree Star Ferry is fine. With Big budha, any day has long ticket lines, weekends even worse. Avoid the lineup by buying your tickets via internet.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,545 posts
5,703 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong layover - is this plan realistic?

>>>>>Catch the 12:15 harbor tour boat for one round-trip (is this worth it, or is the regular ferry just as good?)<<<<<<

Agree with TSS above, I'd just take the historic Star Ferry point-to-point ferry route from the Central to TST. This is the better choose and isn't time dependent. Ferries leave very regularly so just head down there from the Peak once you've finished there.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,545 posts
5,703 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong layover - is this plan realistic?

>>>>On my way back, I have a similar layover. I arrive at HKG at 6:00 am, again, assuming an hour to leave the airport take the train to the diamond hill stop, visit the Chi Lin nunnery and Nan Lian Garden take the train back to Lantau and visit the Big Buddha. Return to the airport by 2:30 pm to catch my 4:30 pm flight.<<<<

This could be a rather tight fit, considering the queue you might face if you are thinking of visiting the Big Buddha via the Ngong Ping 360 cable car. If you are thinking of just catching a taxi up to the Big Buddha, then it should be ok.

If you make quick visits to Nan Lian and Chi Lin, you get back to Tung Chung, where the cable car terminus is for the Ngong Ping 360 by 10.30am this should be ok. I would allow 3.5 hours for this activity to be safe, 2.5 hours if you are ok to just take a taxi from Big Buddha to the airport and don't intend to take the cable car back down.

Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong layover - is this plan realistic?

Thanks for all the information!

It looks like the online ticketing for the cable car is down, so I might just do the taxi. Can anyone give me an estimate on how much a taxi to the Buddha and then to the airport will cost?

Alternatively, could I accomplish the Peak and Chi Lin/Nan Lian in the same day?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
278 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong layover - is this plan realistic?

I agree with what everyone else has said on here. The start ferry is cheap and excellent - don't waste your time and money with a boat tour.

When I first visited the Buddah the cable car hadn't been built and there was a bus that went up instead. It took about half an hour from memory - this was about 7 years ago. A taxi to the airport from Lantau will be very cheap as it's very close.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,545 posts
5,703 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong Kong layover - is this plan realistic?

>>>Alternatively, could I accomplish the Peak and Chi Lin/Nan Lian in the same day?<<<

Yes. Visit Nan Lian and Chi Lin first then make your way to The Peak (HK Island). If you are pressed for time, just take a taxi to the Peak, enjoy the views and make your way back down. The Airport Express (AE) to Hong Kong International Airport is found at the Hong Kong Station near the IFC tower and shopping mall. It will have you back at the airport in 24 minutes time.

California
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hong Kong layover - is this plan realistic?

i have encountered overcast at the Peak as late as mid day--I'd encourage rearranging to sunset as the sun will be setting behind you and the city will begin to light up--great for photos

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,545 posts
5,703 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hong Kong layover - is this plan realistic?

Hiya brkCalifornia,

OP has layover in HK with flights leaving at 4.30pm so unfortunately a sunset visit to the Peak is not really an option for them. Too bad, though, as the views at that time are very good!

Moscow
Level Contributor
845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hong Kong layover - is this plan realistic?

Here's the link to the Ngong Ping 360 website which states the taxi cost from the airport as about HK$35: np360.com.hk/en/…np360-transport-info.html