We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic

Can anyone please tell me what vaccinations I will need to get for my trip to Hong Kong in December. I have not been before and have been on a few websites and they all give different advice. I live in England. Really confused so would appreciate any feedback. Many thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations

hi Jules

here is a link to the government travel advice section on their site:

however, I have been researching the subject, as I have not had many vaccinations myself since primary school (yes I know this is unwise) and the majority of sources have said that no vaccinations are needed, so I think I will be fine, but every one has a different view, depends if you are a worrier or not.

if you are worried then you may as well go to your doctor and he will sort you out!

have a great time!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations

Yes, agree that everyone has a different view on this.

Although Hong Kong has the very first human-infected H5N1 bird flu case in the world, and hunderds of people died of SARS, its health standards are generally above average.

I would say, if you are going to have vaccinations wherever you are going overseas, then it is not an exception when going to Hong Kong. On the other hand, if you were going to United States or France or Australia and not going to have vaccinations, then I would think you also don't have to care about vaccinations when going to Hong Kong.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Level Contributor
4,194 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations

I also agree with Tin that this is a very personal choice and there is no absolute right or wrong answer to it. However, just beware that even if you are vaccinated, it’s not 100% guaranteed protection. Even so, vaccination will in most cases help to reduce the severity of the illness to your recovery faster. Practice of good personal hygiene and common sense are important.

In any case, it’s a good idea to keep you vaccination up-to-date, starting with polio/tetanus at home that is usually good for 10 years. Because I travel a lot, I am also vaccinated against Hep A & B. This is also good for 10 years. I always take my annual flu shot. I have also taken a course of Dukoral to protect against traveller diarrhea and cholera. (If you do a “Google” seach on Durkoral, you will find a lot of information about this drug.)

I am not sure which web sites you have visited regarding vaccination but I’d suggest the following for you to take a look:

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations

To add to your reading list, in addition to the U.K., and Canadian sites mentioned above, check out the Center for Disease Control (U.S.) site at:

and see this previous tripadvisor post:

I'm a big fan of vaccines. Generally, vaccines are cheap, safe and effective. Some provide virtual immunity, others greatly reduce the risk or severity of symptoms. The question is one of assessing the risks which means you have to make some effort to become educated and then determining the right choice for you. Having some protection may also give you peace of mind when you are travelling so you may enjoy your trip more. And some precautions just seem to me to be plain common sense (for example, to me there is no rational reason to not to get a polio vaccine given the effects of contracting such a debilitating disease, or to not take the newest anti-malaria drugs when travelling in a malaria endemic area).

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccinations

in my country they tell you to have the basic immunisation

hepatitis A+B

if you travel outside the city get protection against mosquitos because of the dengue fever.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccinations

If you are a normal adult, whose had the usual required shots that most of us have had, or already immuned..... then the ONLY shot I ever really really thought was required or can consider is Hepatits A and B. And even that, really is depending on WHAT you are planning to do in HK and Asia during your visit.

Hep A is common, but not to the point where everyone who comes to HK is doomed to get it or something. If you travel smart, use common sense, eat carefully, and don't do anything or try anything reckless, Hep A is actually quite difficult to contract, and EVEN if you were to come into contact with it, there is cure and medication for it. Where, the disadvantage actually is Hep A vaccine is made of Human diploids, (last I heard and advised by my doctor) so, unless things have changed (not surprisingly)..... there are risks getting that shot too.

Hep B- even harder... by bodily fluids such as blood, semen...etc. So, unless you are planning to do some "XXX" things and activities.... I wouldn't worry about it either.

Just word of caution, b/c Chinese cuisine eats in such a way where everybody just use their chopsticks to get their food.... (not like Western style, pass the dishes around...) But common courtesy is to us "public" chopsticks now and serving spoons and forks..... best way to stay "safe".

If you are going to be in countryside, and sub-urbs.... then mosquito repellent, and wear protective clothes like thin long sleeves.... I really really don't see why anyone needs to get vaccines to visit HK.

14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vaccinations

We were in HK 2 years ago and will be there again in June. We didnt bother with vaccinations and havent this time either, but there is alot of useful info above to help you to make your own mind up.

As a fellow scouser one thing I would say is that suffered with a number of painful mosquito bites ( my pale skinned celtic partner didnt get bitten once!) So this time I intend to come well prepared with appropriate treatments etc.

Have a great time.

Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vaccinations

Thanks to everyone for all your useful advice which I have taken on board.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vaccinations

Jules, just make sure you get your Hep A+B, but they are a series of shots, so make an appointment soon. And a tetanus youshould get every 5 years anyway.

10. Re: Vaccinations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, August 13, 2009
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now