We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cafe de Coral... Where are their branches please?

Auckland NZ
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Cafe de Coral... Where are their branches please?

We will be staying at the Marco Polo in TST and wonder if there is a branch nearby. Do they serve breakfast fare?

Mentioned in this post
Marco Polo Shenzhen
Marco Polo Shenzhen
748 Reviews
Shenzhen, China
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cafe de Coral... Where are their branches please?

Thought the prices would be around that. Similar chains in Thailand and Malaysia.Obv. not going to be Haute Cuisine but ok for food on the run, when no better style restaurants near.

Mentioned in this post
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cafe de Coral... Where are their branches please?

Sammyfloyd: I humbly bow to your greater expertise as to which is the worst! Let's not do a competitive tasting...... :-)

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,917 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cafe de Coral... Where are their branches please?

LOL... voting for worst food is not helping... :D

Cafe de Coral is fast food. Fast food is fast food. Convenient (everywhere). Inexpensive (volume sale, conveyor belt operation). And Fast. That's that. :)

The local cha chen tien is not bad usually, especially those that have been around for years and years.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cafe de Coral... Where are their branches please?

Yes, agree with Happy. I find the local cha chaan teng to be much preferable....but of course it helps in those places if one can deal with cantonese. :-)

Manila Philippines
Level Contributor
110 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cafe de Coral... Where are their branches please?

I liked cafe de coral primarily because it is easy for tourist who doesnt speak chinese to order.

I wish more cha chaan teng will offer english menu.

I've also encountered some chinese restaurant with english menu but at higher prices. This are in tsim sha tsui area. I don't know if this is widespread practice.

16. Re: Cafe de Coral... Where are their branches please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, May 28, 2013
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,917 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cafe de Coral... Where are their branches please?

I think Cafe de Coral, Fairwood, and Maxim's MX are just about as close to the traditional cha chaan tieng that are run by corporations. The other one that I like is Tsui Wah. It is a sit-down, order from waitstaff type. Serving cha chaan tieng kind of items. Run by corporation, and the pricing is fair. They have many branches. I believe their menus are bilingual (but am not sure).

bensy: it sounds like some individual cha chaan tieng owners are taking advantage of non-Chinese speaking tourists. That's a shame. But a reality. I am not sure if there a law that governs that. If I go to Manila and order from an English menu and pay 20% high, I wouldn't know either.

Mentioned in this post
Tsui Wah Restaurant
Tsui Wah Restaurant
654 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,359 posts
6,196 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Cafe de Coral... Where are their branches please?

>>>>I've also encountered some chinese restaurant with english menu but at higher prices. This are in tsim sha tsui area. I don't know if this is widespread practice.<<<<<

bensy,

Would you be able to give us some examples of this dual pricing in TST based restaurants? We've run into this in other countries, like Vietnam where the practice use to be rampant but don't recall experiencing the dual pricing here in HK. Please let us know where you ran into this.

Mentioned in this post
Manila Philippines
Level Contributor
110 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Cafe de Coral... Where are their branches please?

HappyFeet1234, most restaurants in Manila uses english menu :) nowadays.

BradJill, I really could not remember the restaurants, as their name are also in Chinese. Also, this happened to me many years ago. After that I've been frequenting Cafe De Coral when I'm in Hong kong especially for breakfast.

I still also eat at some cha chaan tieng but I make sure that they have a single menu in both english and chinese, and not a separate menu for english.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Manila Philippines
Level Contributor
110 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Cafe de Coral... Where are their branches please?

HappyFeet1234, most restaurants in Manila uses english menu :).

BradJill, I really could not remember the restaurants, as their name are also in Chinese. Also, this happened to me many years ago. After that I've been frequenting Cafe De Coral when I'm in Hong kong especially for breakfast.

I still also eat at some cha chaan tieng but I make sure that they have a single menu in both english and chinese, and not a separate menu for english.

Edited: 7:57 am, May 30, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines