We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vacuum-packed fresh durian in HK?

Seat 33E
Level Contributor
56 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
vacuum-packed fresh durian in HK?

I'll be in HK for one night in early July, staying in the Tsim Sha Tsui area. I'd like to buy some fresh durian, perhaps one of the better types, flesh removed from the fruit in my presence and vacuum packed or otherwise airtight-sealed for carrying on the plane.

Is this too ambitious a goal? If it is possible, can you suggest some suitable full-service fruit stores?

Many thanks,

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vacuum-packed fresh durian in HK?

If it's available at that time of year you can get it at supermarkets wrapped. But have you checked with your airline and destination that you're allowed it? In my country it'd be a stiff instant fine at least.

Edited: 5:32 pm, February 06, 2013
HK
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: vacuum-packed fresh durian in HK?

You may get it done at the fresh fruit wholesale market at Yau Ma Tei.. They sell much cheaper as compared to supermarket.. And it's fresher... Look for the Malaysian durian if you want the better quality as compared to Thai durian.. The taste is much stronger but it's also more expensive.. hope it helps..

Singapore
Level Contributor
171 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vacuum-packed fresh durian in HK?

One of my friend vacuum-packed durians in his check-in luggage from Singapore to Shanghai and despite the thickness of the wrappings with newspapers and shrink-wrap, he cold still smell it when he claimed his luggage.

So you might want to make sure it's really air-tight to avoid detection. Plus the destination country allows fruits to be brought in, else it could spell trouble if it's found.

4. Re: vacuum-packed fresh durian in HK?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 02, 2014