We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18K gold jewlery.

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, Canada
Level Contributor
230 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
18K gold jewlery.

Is it possible to bargain when buying 18K gold from the nig name jewlery stores like Chow Tai Fook, Chow Sang Sang, King Fook, etc. I so, approximately what discount should I aim to get

Thanks.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 18K gold jewlery.

HI, yep you can bargain on the workmanship portion, level of discount will depend on intricacy of design,and the empowerment given to that sales personnel to give discount..it is the method,if sales personnel can give this level of discount, nicely ask,if can give a slightly better discount level by checking with his/her supervisor.

One thing though, am not very sure, the range of jewellery set in 18k..as 22k or 24k are much more common in HK.

Also bear in mind, gold retailers over here commonly use unit measurement "tael" instead of oz or grammes...so take note that, one (1) tael is equivalent to 37.429 grammes. (or 1.2214ouces).

So most of the times, on a little white tag, you just see number to state weight of gold(and not price),and usually no unit of measurement is indicated,as it is assumed that it is tael, though some of these big chains in more touristy areas, are beginning to indicate in grammes('g').

Another well known chain is Luk Fook.

Many happiness/ good luck for you shopping at these "Fook" stores.

Edited: 3:51 am, February 05, 2013
Balikpapan
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 18K gold jewlery.

the easiest way, you can ask how much per gram for 18k gold in UK before you leave and compare the price in the same measurement in HK. I do this when i buy gold in HK.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
114 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 18K gold jewlery.

As 2nd poster said, it really depends. Usually you can get discount on the workmanship or round down the number.

If you buy over a certain amount the big chains usually add you in their VIP list and you get automatic discounts on the purchase and future purchases- 5% or 10%. I got this for Tse Sui Luen and Chow Sang Sang many years ago. Not sure now.

4. Re: 18K gold jewlery.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 07, 2014