We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HK Immigration

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Topic
HK Immigration

I just want to ask your experience regarding HK immigration.

What they usually ask as supporting documents? I know HK doesn't need visa, but what if by chance the immigration officer is strict - what questions do you think they will ask?

My last trip to SG/KL, is a business trip so I have Job Order (letter) to travel provided by my company.

Why I asked?

Our friend they experienced - HK Immigration officer questioned them if they have HK$3,500 at the airport?

There are no untoward incident after that since they showed a huge amount but what if you dont have that amount? or your cash is still on your country's currency or US$?

In the first place do they really need to ask that?

Im just but We already prepared enough amount of HK$ and US$.

Appreciate your sharing

Post away..thanks in advance.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,854 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HK Immigration

https:/…visaform.htm

" Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay and documents required for their next destination."

Unless you have the legal right to enter a country (as a citizen/resident), it's standard requirement for most countries that you should be able to provide proof of sufficient funds to cover your stay upon entry. Proof can be cash, credit cards, travellers cheques, proof of bank account balance that can be verified...

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,033 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HK Immigration

Depends on what passport you hold. I crossed that border many time and have never been asked a single question. I am trying to remember if they said anything at all, even hello.

uk
Level Contributor
154 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HK Immigration

My Family from Php always join me in HK every year and I always make sure they have: Return ticket, hotel reservation, and funds. You will have more trouble leaving Manila than anything else. You will need all of the above plus a letter of permission from your employer to say you are allowed time off work.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: HK Immigration

I think they normally ask:

1. Why you come to hong kong?

2. How long you will stay?

3. Who you stay with?

4. Where do you stay? It might be safe, if you can present your hotel voucher to the immigration officer for the proof

5. I think you can also prepare your credit card ready to show that you have enough money to support your stay.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,902 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HK Immigration

To answer one question you asked: if the immigration officer were to ask you to show your cash, it won't matter what currency it is in: HKD, USD, PHP, RMB -- the immigration officers know that you can easily change the money as soon as you are in the arrival hall.

Edited: 6:35 am, February 08, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,818 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HK Immigration

I think with all the documents you have there shouldn't be any problem, but there is profiling of some nationalities at HKIA as so many people try to work TNT here.

HK immigration officials can be strict, but still much more polite than those in many countries ...if you wear business-like clothes, have all your extra documents in a neat folder in case you are asked for them, speak calmly and politely, then there is not likely to be any big hassle.

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: HK Immigration

Thanks Guys!!! Appreciate all your advises.

Hyderabad, Andhra...
Level Contributor
103 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HK Immigration

we are from india, travelled to hk oct 2012, no questions asked at hk immigration

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,902 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HK Immigration

Oisaan......what's the meaning of TNT in your post no. 6??

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,818 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HK Immigration

TNT = tago nang (spelling?) tago = Tagalog for "undocumented/ illegal worker."