We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting HK after 20 years

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting HK after 20 years

I would really appreciate some advice from the "Honkers professionals".

I am visiting HK in May for a significant birthday coupled with a nostalgia trip. Lived in this wonderful city for 3+ years 30 years ago and last visited 20 years ago. Am wondering if anyone could tell me what the new name of the former Furama Hotel in Central is(or indeed if it is still there) and also whether the American Peking restaurant is still in the Wanchai area.

Does the #13 bus still run from Kotewall Road in the mid-levels and the #15 to and from Stanley Markets.

Am also wondering if anyone has any comments on the Wharney Guang Dong Hotel in Wanchai or suggestions regarding a similar hotel for my husband and I. We certainly don't mind being "in the thick of it".

Any advice/help/or general comments will be most appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Stanley, Hong Kong
Stanley, Hong Kong
2,842 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11,049 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting HK after 20 years

The Furama Hotel (with its revolving restaurant) was demolished in 2001. AIA Tower now stands on the site.

Bus 13 still runs to Kotewall Road from City Hall.

Bus 15 runs to The Peak.

Stanley Market is served by buses 6,6A,6X and 260 from Exchange Square and Stanley has changed a lot over the last 20 years;

http://www.hongkongextras.com/_STANLEY.html

Edited: 8:40 am, February 01, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Stanley Market
Stanley Market
1,755 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Exchange Square
Exchange Square
44 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Stanley, Hong Kong
Stanley, Hong Kong
2,842 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting HK after 20 years

I travel to HK regularly and for the last several trips, I have been staying at the Metropark Causeway Bay Hotel located in the eastern fringe of Causeway Bay. It's near Queen's College and Victoria Park. Nearest MTR is Tin Hau. I like this hotel because it's located in a predominantly residential neighbourhood with very good access to all types of public transportation - trams, buses and MTR. I personally don't like to be in the middle of the tourist zone. There are a lot of local stores and restaurants near MPCB and that's what I like about it. I don't work for MPCB and do not receive a commission for mentioning it here. Please read the review section for this hotel here. BTW if you stay at least 7-nights, ask about their long staying package. Get a Parlour room if your budget permits or at least a harbour view room. Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,046 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Victoria Park
Victoria Park
403 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
MTR
MTR
19,132 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting HK after 20 years

Thank you SolentTraveller for your helpful advice. Yes I now remember that the #15 runs from the Peak via Stubbs Road (used to live in Shiu Fai Terrace). How sad that the Furama Hotel has gone....it was an icon when I first visited HK in 1977 and had a fabulous dinner at the revolving restaurant.

Nevertheless one must push on into the 21st century and I am so looking forward to revisiting some old haunts.

Do you know if the Bull and Bear pub is still in one of the buildings in Central?

Again thanks for the advice.

Libby

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting HK after 20 years

Thank you TeddyBTraveller for your help and I will look into the Metropark.

Do you know anything about the Metropark in Wanchai as the "tourist strip" does not worry us?

Thanks again

Libby

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11,049 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting HK after 20 years

The Bull and Bear in Central closed in 2002. It was subsequently resurrected in Wan Chai in Jaffe Road in 2007;

scmp.com/article/578069/bull-and-bear-comes-…

However, the Wan Chai location also closed last year.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting HK after 20 years

Well I guess change really is in the air!! I did have the odd San Mig in the Bull and Bear 33 years ago!! I do thank you for taking the time to let me know.

Regards

Libby

Level Contributor
4,194 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting HK after 20 years

Metropark does very bad job in its branding management. Unlike some other better known brands, e.g., Sheraton, Novotel where certain level of amenities and service may be expected for a particular brand, this cannot be said for Metropark. Metropark Causeway Bay is probably 1 star higher than Metropark Wanchai or Metropark Mongkok. I personally would rate Metropark Causeway Bay as a high 3-star to low 4-star hotel. It is probably one of the best Metropark in H.K. with Metropark Kowloon a close second. Here's the hotel web site link:

http://metroparkhotelcausewaybay.com/

You may also find the official Hong kong Tourism Board web site helpful in planning your trip:

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/au/index.jsp

Edited: 10:45 am, February 02, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,046 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Mongkok
Mongkok
2,981 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong Tourism Board
Hong Kong Tourism Board
272 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting HK after 20 years

Thank you very much TeddyBTraveller for your very helpful advice. Will check it all out before making any decisions.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting HK after 20 years

Please try Metropark Wanchai - it is also close to Wan Chai station which is the same station as the Wharney Guangdong hotel.

The hotel is just about less than 5 mins walk to Wanchai MTR station, very convenient, good facility, great breakfast, good service, highly recommend - I stay there many times - also love it.

orbitz.com/hotel/…

…metroparkhotelwanchai.com/eng/…hongkong.php

hoteltrip.com/hotel/10030014-11374910O.html…

Mentioned in this post
MTR
MTR
19,132 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,757 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting HK after 20 years

>> Do you know anything about the Metropark in Wanchai as the "tourist strip" does not worry us? <<

Wanchai has always been the red light district of Hong Kong. Since way back when. American GIs R&R from Nam, they came to Hong Kong and got on a walla walla to board at Wanchai, looking for bars (typically along Jeffe Road and Lockhart Road). The bars back then were much closer to the shoreline than the present day.

Yes there are many bars and a few night clubs ("dancers" are for hire) in the area. But they won't bother pedestrians on the streets, if that is what you are worrying about... LOL :)

Mentioned in this post