We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unlock a phone at airport

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
264 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Unlock a phone at airport

Hey can I unlock my cell phone at hong long airport ?

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unlock a phone at airport

What do you mean by "unlock".. If you are talking about being able to put a different sim card in your phone that you have from another country where the phone is "locked" to the provider of the phone, then that is something you need to do with the provider of your phone. For example, with Vodafone in Australia you simply go on the Vodafone website and get an unlock code from there with instructions to unlock the phone before you put in the new SIM card.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,706 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unlock a phone at airport

The above is not correct. You can ask your service provider but it is not the only way. I seriously doubt you will find someone to unlock the phone at the airport.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unlock a phone at airport

The above is not correct? I guess it depends on the country you come from but since the OP doesn't have a location listed in their profile and didn't specify, I gave (and qualified my answer to that effect) the way that it is done by Australians.

I asked for clarification and gave a possible solution..

You say that "you can ask your service provider".. which is what I said.. so by that definition.. it is correct.. then you say "there are other ways" but you fail to offer those "other ways"..

Level Contributor
264 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unlock a phone at airport

I just need my phone un locked . Can I or can't I un lock it in hong kong and can I buy a cheap phone unlocked if I need to ?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,706 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unlock a phone at airport

Just google how to unlock (put brand here) phone. You can also do it yourself. We do not even know the brand of the phone.

Hopefully the OP is not American. It is illegal to unlock a phone there.

But my point was, you do not 'need' to have it done by your service provider. That was the wrong part.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,198 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unlock a phone at airport

OP, you can buy a cheap phone in HK for your own use. All phones in HK are unlocked, so I am not sure if someone in HK can help you unlock your phone, as it is a skill not needed in HK.

Level Contributor
264 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unlock a phone at airport

Ok cool thanks guys

Do u know how much a cheap phone in hong kong would be ??? And would it better to buy one in chiang Mai ?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,706 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unlock a phone at airport

What do you plan to use the phone for? What brand of phone do you have now?

Level Contributor
264 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unlock a phone at airport

Call locally and to Canada and some data ( not needed tho ) I have I phone 4 not unlocked from Canada bell service provider . I won't have time to unlock it tho that's why .

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unlock a phone at airport

You don't have time?