We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ShenZhen visit: Next week

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
ShenZhen visit: Next week

Hi forummers: Will be in HK in a few days' time (25th to 31st Jan).

Thinking of popping over to ShenZhen for a day trip. As the Lunar New Year is about 2 weeks' away then, would the LoWu (LuoHu) checkpoint be too impossible to get through as mainland Chinese start to make their way home. Or is it still too early for the annual migration and I do not have to worry?

THANKS

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,296 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ShenZhen visit: Next week

There is always a lot of people crossing there. However. HK citizens, Chinese nationals and other foreigners do not cross at the same place (different booths). So I would not worry too much about it.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ShenZhen visit: Next week

#1 Uhhh......is that wholly true? Last time I went through, it was true that there were different lines at Chinese immigration, but at HK immigration there were only two sets of lines: HK residents, and others. So a Singaporean would be in the "others" line along with all the mainlanders.

But the good news is that I think there's no reason to be concerned so far in advance.....the big crowds won't have started yet.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,296 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ShenZhen visit: Next week

Last time I crossed was a few months ago now but there are never any Chinese in "my" line whether on the Chinese or HK side.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,296 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ShenZhen visit: Next week

But having said that, Luohu is always busy.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ShenZhen visit: Next week

As long as it is the usual crowd at the LoWu checkpoint it is part of the ShenZhen day-trip experience. I wanted to make sure that I am not joining the mad Lunar New Year mass exodus back to the mainland.

THANKS for all the kind responses.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,736 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ShenZhen visit: Next week

The "exodus" doesn't really apply to the Hong Kong - Shenzhen route. It mainly occurs within the mainland, where workers return to their home province for the New Year.

The Lo Wu border will be busy as always. Lok Ma Chau is usually less crowded.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ShenZhen visit: Next week

....thanks...pardon my ignorance. [I was under the impression that there are lots of mainlanders working in HK.]

I have not used the Lok Ma Chau exit. But (reading past threads) it appears to be less crowded then LoWu, and similar to LoWu crossing, I will use Hong Kong and China customs & immigration at Lok Ma Chau (HK side) and Futian Checkpoint/Huanggang (China side) respectively. Can I assume that the ShenZhen MRT Futian Station is just across the border too?

Thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,736 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ShenZhen visit: Next week

Yes, Futian station is connected to the border crossing complex.

In fact, the MTR journey planner includes the Shenzhen metro system, so you can search for cross border routes also.

www.mtr.com.hk/jplanner/eng/planner_index.php

BTW, I think nowadays there are more mainlanders coming to Hong Kong on holiday and spend money, than actually working here.

Edited: 11:25 pm, January 22, 2013
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ShenZhen visit: Next week

Hi Glacierfed: This is great. Thanks for the clarification/info.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ShenZhen visit: Next week

Yes, Futian is definitely less crowdy and its not even Chinese new year that week so you don't have to worry about it.