We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Bhudda, Po Lin monastry and Tai O

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Big Bhudda, Po Lin monastry and Tai O

I am planning to take the Ngong Ping Cable Car to Ngong Ping Village and to visit the Big Buddha. After that take bus 21 to Tai O bus terminal. And proceed to Local Specialty Market at Tai O.

Can anyone share with me their experience at the Big Buddha. How long should I spend at the big Buddha? Big Buddha & Po Lin Monastery is the same place right?

I read somewhere that there are 200 plus steps to the Monastery. Is that the stairs to Po Lin Monastery? How much is the admission fees to enter the Monastery? It also includes a vegetarian is it?

Will it be too tiring if I plan to visit the temple street after visiting Tai O market?

Mentioned in this post
Tai O
Tai O
1,478 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Bhudda, Po Lin monastry and Tai O

Big Buddha is nice. Maybe one hour in total, depends on how quickly you take the steps and how much you look at the different things in detail. The Buddha belongs to Po Lin Monastery.

268 steps up to the Buddha. No admission fee. The fee is only for the meal. It is a bit made to look like there would be an entrance fee, but it is not. It is for the meal and to go to an upper part in the Buddha building (for the meal).

Depends on you. I would say it is possible to visit Temple Street later. Temple Street is much more exciting than Tai O if you ask me. I will not go to Tai O anymore with guests.

I recommend to take the ferry back to HK rather than again the cable car. It gives you a different experience.

Mentioned in this post
Tai O
Tai O
1,478 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Bhudda, Po Lin monastry and Tai O

Horses for courses - Cookie and I always disagree on this one ;-) I consider the Tian Tan Buddha totally not worth climbing to (although I'm happy to visit the monastery and enjoy the vegetarian meal there), but will happily spend hours wandering around Tai O as a whole - not so much the market area which has become very touristy.

But I do agree with the idea of catching a bus to Mui Wo and then the ferry back to HK, specially in fine weather: beautiful scenery that you would otherwise miss.

I don't think it would be too much to also visit Temple St in the evening, but this will depend on your own stamina and style.

Mentioned in this post
Tai O
Tai O
1,478 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Bhudda, Po Lin monastry and Tai O

oisann, it is good to have you with me here and to have different views and ideas! I can also learn from your ideas and I like it!

Everyone need to decide. I think the Buddha you will see from downstairs and can decide to climb up or not.

Tai O for hours would not be enjoyable for me, but obviously is for others.

I would enjoy much more walking around the 10000 buddhas Monastery in Shatin or would go to Lamma Island for a walk from Yung Shue Wan to Sok Kwu Wan.

Mentioned in this post
Tai O
Tai O
1,478 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11,049 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Bhudda, Po Lin monastry and Tai O

There is no admission fee to climb the steps up to the Buddha podium and there is also no admission fee to visit Po Lin Monastery. However, at the entrance to the steps leading up to the Buddha, a ticket office sells combined tickets for admission to the exhibition hall inside the Buddha and for a vegetarian meal at the monastery. If you wish to have the vegetarian meal but don't want to visit the exhibition hall you can buy a meal ticket from the meal ticket office at the monastery.

The Buddha and monastery are located next to each other and you can also follow the path (between the Buddha and monastery) for about 10 mins to the Wisdom Path;

discoverhongkong.com/eng/…wisdom-path.jsp

There is a viewing platform near the beginning of the trail next to the Wisdom Path which has spectacular views down to Shek Pik Reservoir and the south Lantau coastline.

I'm of a like mind to Oissan and can and do spend hours wandering around the streets of Tai O. At opposite ends of the village are the Yeung Hau Temple and the splendidly restored colonial Old Police Station, on a hillside overlooking the harbour entrance and now the Tai O Heritage Hotel, which has an interpretation centre open to visitors;

discoverhongkong.com/eng/see-do/culture-heri…

In between are rows of wooden stilt houses and tin shanties lining the river;

discoverhongkong.com/eng/see-do/great-outdoo…

as well as the local market in the village centre which sells mainly salted fish and dried seafood.

There's also a shrimp paste factory, where you often see shrimp paste laid out in the sun to dry on trays, and shops selling the local delicacy of salted egg yolks. There are a couple of folk museums, a dolphin viewing point where you can often see the endangered Chinese White Dolphins ("pink dolphins"), just off the coast and short boat tours through the village and out to see the dolphins.

Agree that taking the number 1 bus across Lantau to connect with the ferry to Central at Mui Wo is a good idea and, in good weather, both journeys are scenic, although from a sightseeing point of view, the Ordinary Ferry (50 min journey) is preferable to the Fast Ferry (30 mins), which is a catamaran with poor visibility from the passenger cabin;

nwff.com.hk/eng/fare_table/central-mui_wo/

Mentioned in this post
Tai O
Tai O
1,478 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Yeung Hau Temple
Yeung Hau Temple
9 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tai O Heritage Hotel
Tai O Heritage Hotel
247 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Bhudda, Po Lin monastry and Tai O

Fully agree the ferry back is the best option. Regarding the big Buddha...I feel once is enough for me and Tai O is of more ontetest, although it's a while now since my last visit

Mentioned in this post
Tai O
Tai O
1,478 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Bhudda, Po Lin monastry and Tai O

Thanks for all the information. It was really useful. Was so confused initially.

Really love the idea of taking the Fast Ferry back too. My hotel is at Nathan road, should be able to go back for a rest before going temple street for a walk.

But seems like No. 1 bus from Tai O to Mui Wo takes 1hr45min based on google map. Is there a faster method to reach Mui Wo? Have anyone took the No. 1 bus before? Is it comfortable?

By the way, what time does the shop in Citygate Outlets opens? Is it worth a visit in Jan 2013? As I am living in a tropical country, I'll give it a miss if they are selling mostly winter clothings.

Mentioned in this post
Tai O
Tai O
1,478 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Bhudda, Po Lin monastry and Tai O

Bus information is wrong. It is a 45 minutes adventure.

Shops at Citygate open at 10:30 and 11:00 (depends on the shop), restaurants earlier. Cannot comment. Some people love it, I personally not too much. Not the biggest choice and limited bargains. In Jan I do not expect only Winter stuff. HK has not a really cold winter.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11,049 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Bhudda, Po Lin monastry and Tai O

According to the timetable, the bus from Tai O to Mui Wo takes 45 minutes but in reality it's usually 35-40 minutes;

http://www.newlantaobus.com/road_1.htm

The buses are reasonably comfortable, single-deck with leather seats. However, although Lantau Island roads have improved in recent years, they can still be bumpy and hilly in places, with many twists and turns.

The alternative is taxi, which would take about 25 mins and cost about HK$150

A Lantau bus;

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157629093610046

Mentioned in this post
Tai O
Tai O
1,478 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Bhudda, Po Lin monastry and Tai O

Thank you very much for the links. It was really useful.

Taking Ferry from Mui Wo to Central. If I wants to go Nathan Road, the most convenient way is to travel using Star Ferry Company to Tsim Sha Tsui right?

Are the Piers far apart? And is it easy to find?

And Happy New Year to everyone reading. :-D

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11,049 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Big Bhudda, Po Lin monastry and Tai O

Central Pier 6, where the ferry from Mui Wo arrives, is immediately next to Star Ferry (Central Pier 7), about 2 mins walk. You can, as you say, take Star Ferry across the harbour to Tsim Sha Tsui and easily walk to the southern end of Nathan Road. However, Nathan Road runs for about 4km, and, if necessary, you can take a bus up Nathan Road from Star Ferry Bus Terminus outside the ferry pier at Tsim Sha Tsui.

Edited: 9:49 am, December 31, 2012