We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dongmen Market

brisbane
Level Contributor
41 posts
Dongmen Market

Much has been written about Shenzhen and the Luohu Shopping Center..has anyone been to the Dongmen Market? Do they have the same goodies as Luohu ?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
42 reviews
40 helpful votes
1. Re: Dongmen Market

Yes.

Many CDs - any kinds of foreign metal, rap, jazz, pop, etc. music

Many DVDs - any kinds of foreign TV shows and movies, Grey's anatomy, simple life, desperate housewives, CSI, 24, Lost, etc. etc.

Many TV game softwares - PS2, computer, etc.

Also if you like electronics, you should also visit Hua Chang Bei Lu (Hua Chang North Road) where you will find many computer, labtops, mp3 players accessories. Back when the iPod was launched, my friend went there and bought many iPod skins at around RMB$3 each and resold them on ebay and earned a fortune. Also Chinese made DVD players at around RMB$300 (which works pretty well!!)

The latest hit product right now is China made massage chair, same function as those made by Panasonic or Osim, but only 1/6 of their price!!

You may also consider visiting furniture town in shenzhen where you will find cheap but look like designers' furnitures : sofas, chairs, faucets, jacuzzi. I saw a heart shaped jacuzzi only at RMB$4000!!

Nothing else. Beware of pick pockets and robbers at dongmun though, it's the most dangerous (highest criminal rate) area in shenzhen.

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
2. Re: Dongmen Market

how to get to Dong Men Market?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Dongmen Market

To get to Dongmen from Luohu take the Metro(subway) and get off at the "Lao Jie" station.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Christchurch, South Island, Akaroa
Level Contributor
43,495 posts
459 reviews
196 helpful votes
4. Re: Dongmen Market

In response to "JapFreak" - the electronics Market is at Hua Qiang Bei. (not "cheng")

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
5. Re: Dongmen Market

Been there last month, and we just look around for 15mins and left the place. We were all nervous to roam around. I guess Lowu is much better.

West Yorks
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
63 reviews
35 helpful votes
6. Re: Dongmen Market

I was in Dongmen in November. I saw shops selling CDs and DVDs (although they were in Chinese when I was told they were in English!). They didn't sell the same bags/clothes geared to Westerners they sold at Luohu. Saw the electronics market but didn't buy anything.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
43 helpful votes
7. Re: Dongmen Market

Hi Pennlets! Would you recommend not going on the subway to Dongmen and just stay within the confines of LoWu? Sounds like Dongmen might be unsafe and a foreign tourist trap! Would you think that the shopping isn't better than at LoWu??

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
49,528 posts
868 reviews
495 helpful votes
8. Re: Dongmen Market

Actually LoWu is the tourist trap. Locals shop at Dongmen. They are quite different places. LoWu is like a flea market consisting of small kiosks over 5 floors. Most of what is sold there is of doubtful quality. Certainly do not buy electronics there (all those I-pods are clearly fakes) and I found the clothes to generally be of poor quality.

Dongmen consists of pedestrian streets and many stores are Chinese chains. There are also some small independant shops. Quite different from LoWu.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
43 helpful votes
9. Re: Dongmen Market

Thanks, JPDeM... Will see how we go for time when visiting Shenzhen... Cheers.

10. Re: Dongmen Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, October 17, 2009