We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TA Findings - HK -third least friendly people!

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,343 posts
5,578 reviews
Save Topic
TA Findings - HK -third least friendly people!

We made a mark on a recent TA survey, probably not one to be excited about however. Seems behind Moscow and London, we have the third least friendly people in the world. See link

tripadvisor.com/PressCenter-i5618-c1-Press_R…

You can find our lovely city in the Low Rankers category.

Hopefully with Christmas around the corner, we will cheer up.... :-)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
109 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: TA Findings - HK -third least friendly people!

I am surprised by the finding. I find hkers a lot friendlier now. They are also mor helpful as compared to five years ago. No offense, I was a little put off by the mainlanders when I was in Beijing for a week in October this year.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
380 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: TA Findings - HK -third least friendly people!

Well, during the last few trips to HK in recent years, i do find HK people especially in the service line is getting friendlier. Even some office/bank workers which we met when drinking in Soho and LKF seems nice. Overall I would rate 7/10. It also really depends on how the tourists themselves acted, some think they are tourist, come to spend money so no need to have a good attitude and dont speak politely when asking/requesting something especially from hotels/restaurants because they think they are paying so no need to be nice (I actually saw a few occasion when i was in HK) As for me from sales business, always smile and be polite when you ask/request something, normally it works find except on 1 or 2 occasion.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: TA Findings - HK -third least friendly people!

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life but I just happened to remember a previous dining experience while browsing through Openrice.

Whenever I eat at a typical Cantonese restaurant I don't expect top-notch service. Most of the time they just rush in doing everything with so many customers and so few staff you wonder if they even remember your instructions.

I ate at Chuk Yuen (both branches in TST) and Fung Shing in Causeway Bay. After decades of "unecouraging" customer service, I was really amazed to see smiles on the faces of those who served us.

The 2nd time I was in Chuk Yuen they forgot to punch 1 of my orders so we kept following up over and over. 10 years ago they'd already be agitated the 2nd time you call their attention but now I can sense genuine service. They eventually acknowledged their fault and gave us tons of free dessert.

When I was in Fung Shing, the restaurant was packed and there were barely 5 to 6 of them serving the whole restaurant so I was really glad the staff easily corrected a mistake in the order (since we were sharing the table with other people) and got everything right with our takeaway order. The girl manning the soup station then asked me out of nowhere whether I was able to try the soup and said I should when I said I didn't.

Heck even taxi drivers are smiling and joking now.

And no, these folks are not the young generation, these are the old folks who used to be the ones hardest to deal with.

As someone who already loves the city as it is, this new wave of much better customer service has brought HK even closer to perfection. So there, hats off to all of you locals (and migrants) who are giving HK people a better image.

Berkeley Vale, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: TA Findings - HK -third least friendly people!

I'll disagree as well. We were in HK last month, our first visit and very pleasantly surprised by the friendliness and service. Most places we ate had very helpful and friendly service even when there was no common language. And tourists we met from mainland China and Indonesia were also either happy to chat or take photos and even share food.

Somehow I think travelling with two blonde children totally breaks the ice. So many people were willing to help my 7 yr old son when he was separated from us on the busy streets of Mong Kok.

I'd read so much too about tourists pushing in at Disneyland and Ocean Park. I only saw one blatant act of pushing in at Disneyland. It's true that someone will stand in line then others in the group will join them. I don't think this is rude, it's just we don't do that in Australia, we tend to wait for our group, then join a queue. Just different ways of doing things.

London, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: TA Findings - HK -third least friendly people!

Well, what can I say......With Londoners being the second least friendly people in the world, I think it justifies for me to reply here: "third not that bad".....

Edited: 5:16 am, February 03, 2013
26. Re: TA Findings - HK -third least friendly people!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, February 03, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: TA Findings - HK -third least friendly people!

That said, based on my personal experience, locals from both Hong Kong and Mainland China have been friendly and eager to help throughout my trip.

It's a problem that exists in most big cities around the world that people are sometimes neglectful because they are busy minding their own business. Of course if you are comparing the friendliness of these people with some random small village in Europe, where there's probably not much going on except helping visitors, the results are axiomatic.

Plus, sorry I don't know why that appeared twice, maybe because I'm using my phone to post...

Edited: 5:35 am, February 03, 2013
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,926 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: TA Findings - HK -third least friendly people!

I'm surprised to hear this, our first (together) overseas trip was to Hong Kong in 2006 and we were so impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the people we encountered that it set up DH for many more overseas trips (thank you Kong Kong, he never wanted to travel before that :-) ). We returned last November and again found friendly helpful locals wherever we went.

By contrast we find Singaporeans more aloof- not hostile or unpleasant, just not as approachable as the people in Hong Kong.

Hyderabad, Andhra...
Level Contributor
103 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: TA Findings - HK -third least friendly people!

we had a lovely time in Hk, and while its so well organized u can easily find yr way around, whatever conatct we had with hkers was very pleasant

30. Re: TA Findings - HK -third least friendly people!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 08, 2014