We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spending money

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
qld australia
Level Contributor
354 posts
Save Topic
spending money

hi,

We're a family of 4 (2adults and 2 teens) and will be spending 4 nights in Hong Kong staying at Novotel Nathan Rd, Kowloon. We intend to do sightseeing (not disneyland) and shopping and would like to know how much spending money we will need. All our breakfasts and accommodation is paid for.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,261 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spending money

You can get by with $500 HKD per day, but $1,000 HKD per day would be better, depending on how much you want to spend shopping.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,279 posts
5,508 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spending money

Hello familytravel000

This question is asked from time to time so you input 'daily costs', 'spending money' or something similar in the Search Box at the top of the page, you'll find quite a few past questions and discussions about how much you might want to expect for Hong Kong.

Have a great holiday and hope you enjoy Hong Kong

united kingdom
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spending money

i dont know if they have the same thing in australia buty here in england you can get a service when you buy currency where you pay a small fee and this allows you to return any unspent money and sell it back for what you bought it for , i work for travelex and we do it for a fee of 3.99GBP

this allows you to take extra money with you and not worry about losing out on the exchange rate when you get back

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,769 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spending money

Just bring your bank card and use the ATM based on your actual spending. Cost for meals can be all over the place and your shopping is a bit unknown. If you do not know how much you will spend on shopping, how can we know?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spending money

The amount people will spend on a holiday varies dramatically depending on what they shop for, its not a one amount fits all thing. Hong Kong isn't exactly bargain central. Sightseeing is relatively inexpensive and so are taxi fares and the MRT. Keep in mind you will need to pay cash for a taxi, but you can get an Octopus card for Star Ferries, MRT etc .

Personally when I travel I take cash and change it as needed and only use a card for large purchases and only at reputable retailers. No offense to kern0w_666 but I avoid Tavelex because I get a much better rate of exchange at Chungking Mansions which is on Nathan Road.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,769 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: spending money

I have to agree. I travel a lot and also check the exchange rates of money changers, even though I do not use them. And frankly, the worst exchange rates I ver saw where in Australia. The Travelex desk at the airport in Sydney has to be the worst.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,523 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: spending money

I am another one that avoids exchanging money before I leave. I take a bit of A$ to exchange & mainly use ATM's.

If your Australian consider getting the 28 degrees Mastercard before you go. http://www.28degreescard.com.au/ Its what I use & have never had a problem. No Annual fees, no currency conversion fees and no international transaction fees.

As well as a credit card I load it up with my own money before I leave & treat it like a debit card at ATMs to withdraw cash. Because my card then has a plus balance I am not charged the high % rate for advance cash withdrawls. Some overseas ATMS will cost a very small fee using their ATM's but its a lot cheaper than using your usual bank debit card which also slug you a conversion / transaction fee.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,279 posts
5,508 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: spending money

@JWGT1957

>>>........I avoid Tavelex because I get a much better rate of exchange at Chungking Mansions which is on Nathan Road.<<<<<

Good strategy: The Chung King Mansion ground floor forrex dealers offer some of the very best rates in Hong Kong. See link (w/pictures) if helpful.

Chungking Mansions (good location for money exchange)

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: spending money

I agree BradJill. When I was in HK in August I checked out the rates from other money changers and Chung King was the best. In my case I changed a couple of K and the result was 400HKD extra in my pocket. That might not seem much but it pays for quite a few taxi fares. I've noticed the Travelex rates at most airports is usually pretty bad in comparison, certainly here in Australia they're a rip off.

Each to their own, take a card, take cash or a combination of both. Personally I have enough cards and don't care for more, nor do I need another account to keep track of, so I take cash for the bulk of my spending.

10. Re: spending money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, December 17, 2013