We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some advice on planning my itinerary please

Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Need some advice on planning my itinerary please

This is my 2nd trip to HK but surprisingly I have not been to a lot of attractions. This time round I will be heading there with my family (parents and brother) and plan to go to a few attractions like The Peak, Avenue of Stars etc.

I will be arriving HK from Macau on 14th Dec and will depart HK on 17th Dec (flight is 9.30PM)

14 DEC

- 9AM: Depart Macau (Macau Maritime Ferry Terminal) and take ferry to HK Central (Sheung Wan)

- 10AM: Transfer to Hotel – Cosmopolitan Hotel (unsure if i can check-in so early. Should I just leave luggage at concierge and proceed with full day itinerary?)

I plan to fit these places into my itinerary and hope to get some advice on what should be done on the same day?

Victoria Peak + Tram ride (should this be done in the morning to avoid long queues?)

Stanley Market/ Murray House

Symphony of lights + Avenue of Stars (TST)

Ladies Market (Mongkok)

Citygate Outlets

Ngong Ping 360 (Unsure if I shd include this as I doubt my family will be interested in seeing the buddha/monastry)

I also plan to make a trip to Lai Chi Kok for shopping but not sure if it is worth the trip there during the December period. Will I be able to buy any Spring/Summer clothing during Dec in HK?

Appreciate any comments! If there is a place that you recommend I visit, please let me know as well. Thank you!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,545 posts
5,703 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some advice on planning my itinerary please

>>>>- 10AM: Transfer to Hotel – Cosmopolitan Hotel (unsure if i can check-in so early. Should I just leave luggage at concierge and proceed with full day itinerary?)<<<<<

No problem. Luggage storage is a rather standard service so Im sure you can leave your bags at the Cosmo and start sightseeing if this is your wish.

>>>>Victoria Peak + Tram ride (should this be done in the morning to avoid long queues?)<<<<

Not a bad idea if you want to avoid the queue but the best views are at night so worth considering. A morning visit does fit nicely as your trip to Stanley is best from probably 11am onward so you don't really want to go there too early. The stalls start opening around 9 in the morning but they are not that lively until a bit later in the morning. These two attractions can naturally be clubbed together.

>>>>Symphony of lights + Avenue of Stars (TST), Ladies Market (Mongkok)<<<<

Both are in Kowloon and can be combined relatively easily as the Ladies Market is running till quite late. Just head that direction after you watch the Symphony of lights.

>>>>>Citygate Outlets, Ngong Ping 360 (Unsure if I shd include this as I doubt my family will be interested in seeing the buddha/monastery)<<<<

Similarly, just club these together as a 1/2 or 3/4 day trip depending on how fast you want to travel. Early start would be best, particularly since you're making a weekend visit.

Best of luck and hope you enjoy the city.

Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some advice on planning my itinerary please

Thanks for the comments BradJill!

Just wondering if I go to Victoria peak in the morning and then to Stanley, what's the best way to travel? They seem pretty far apart. I also heard there are buses that go on a scenic route to Stanley but the ride alone is almost an hour? Not sure if its worth the time or shd I just take a taxi.

Any other recommended places to visit?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,545 posts
5,703 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some advice on planning my itinerary please

Taxi will always be the quickest way if time is of the essence. However, the bus rides are scenic, enjoyable and potentially worth the time. I enjoy the bus 15 from the Peak down to the city, lovely hairpin turns and outstanding views of the skylines and harbor, assuming good visibility conditions. Once back in Admiralty, you can take any number of buses to Stanley. Some more scenic and drawn out than others.

Read up on the Routes, just do a Search on this forum 'bus to stanley' and you'll find lots of old posts discussing how to get there.

As for other recommended places to visit, there are plenty. Have a look through these trip list recommendations and see if anything draws your interest.

Hong Kong Top Attractions

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23948-Hong_Kon…

Hong Kong’s Best Street Market Scene (Mongkok)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24685-Mongkok_…

Hong Kong’s Top Museums

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i32341-Hong_Kon…

Hong Kong’s Top Temple & Monasteries

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i25656-Hong_Kon…

Best of Victoria Harbour

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i27892-Best_of_…

A Day in Sha Tin

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24058-A_Day_in…

Hong Kong with kiddies

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i26165-Hong_Kon…

Let me know if you've further questions or need additional clarification.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,872 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some advice on planning my itinerary please

If you want to take a bus from The Peak to Stanley... there is no direct route. You need to transfer once. But there is no need to ride all the way back to Admiralty and suffer the traffic in Wan Chai. Just alight at Stubbs Road, and transfer to bus #6 to go to Stanley. Will save you at least half an hour.

SolentTraveller has written many replies on this transfer.

If you take a taxi, the fare is about HKD $110. Distance ~ 16 km.

Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some advice on planning my itinerary please

Would it be better if I combine The Peak in the morning with Citygate outlets thereafter? I also plan to have dim sum at Lin Heung Kui which is somewhere near The Peak. I wanted to take the Star Ferry after Citygate outlet shopping from Central Star Ferry Pier to TST, from which I can go to the Musuem, Avenue of stars and then watch Symphony of lights. Is this a better plan?

Perhaps I will put Stanley on the last day of my HK trip (17 Dec). Will Stanley be better to visit on the weekend or on a Monday?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,545 posts
5,703 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some advice on planning my itinerary please

Hello locketlovee

>>>>>>>I wanted to take the Star Ferry after Citygate outlet shopping from Central Star Ferry Pier to TST, from which I can go to the Musuem, Avenue of stars and then watch Symphony of lights. Is this a better plan?<<<<<

Are you aware that Citygate Outlets are all the way out near the airport on Lantau Island while The Peak, Stanley and the Star Ferry Pier are all on Hong Kong Island. This is not really an ideal combination compared to visiting Stanley and the Stanley markets.

7. Re: Need some advice on planning my itinerary please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:34 am, December 06, 2012
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,872 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need some advice on planning my itinerary please

Lin Heung Kui is nowhere near the Peak. It is also far from the Lower Peak Tram Terminus.

You have asked a few food related questions. An acknowledgement to the replies would be nice.

Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need some advice on planning my itinerary please

Apologies for the lack of research done... Thought I saw Victoria peak somewhere near Lin heung kui on the map so thought I could fit that in the itinerary.

Yes I am aware that citygate is at Tung Chung, thought I could take mtr from Hong Kong station after I'm done with the peak but I think I must has mistaken the exact location of the peak. Sorry about that.

In that case, what would be the best time to head to citygate? Quite unsure what to pack in a day where I want to make a trip there.

Thanks for all the comments thus far.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,872 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need some advice on planning my itinerary please

>> Thought I saw Victoria peak somewhere near Lin heung kui on the map so thought I could fit that in the itinerary. <<

LOL... well, they look close on a map. The only thing is they are about 1500 feet difference in elevation.