We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More Questions

Kota Kinabalu
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
More Questions

Hi,

is it safe for solo travelers in HK?

How is the weather in Dec? How many degrees c is it?

Are there hostels or backpackers that are good for meeting other travelers?

I found a place at Yesinn but they have a place at fortress hill and causeway bay. Are these places close to the main attractions?

I wouldn't want to stay somewhere isolated.

Is fortress hill on top of a hill? I would feel safer if a place has a lot of people around.

Hong Kong
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: More Questions

Hong Kong is definitely a safe place for travelers. From this week, the temperature starts to drop and we get a little bit autumn feeling. To my experiences, there were years Hong Kong had a very humid and cold winter on Dec (around 10 degree), there were years we had a very hot winter with only long-sleeves. However, it also depends on your personal feelings as well as where you come from.

Causeway Bay is one of the major attractions in Hong Kong where you can find a large variety of shopping opportunities.

Basically, I think Hong Kong is very safe to stay, so you don't need to worry too much. In general, the hotels or hostels in TST, Central, Wanchai and Causeway Bay will be higher than the other regions.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More Questions

>> Is fortress hill on top of a hill? I would feel safer if a place has a lot of people around. <<

Between Causeway Bay and Fortress Hill, I would pick Causeway Bay. It is closer to the actions. Not as far to walk back to your accommdation after dinner, after shopping or something.

Fortress Hill is a small hill. But depending on where the hostel is, it may not be on the hill (most likely as up the hill those are residential high rises). It may be on the flat side (or the area) adjacent to Tin Hau (which is adjacent to Causeway Bay). It is a condensedly populated area. No worries.

P.S. I just looked up on Google. Yesinn is on King's Road. Flat. Not on a hill.

Edited: 4:32 pm, November 20, 2012
Kota Kinabalu
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: More Questions

autumn feeling? Oh no. I can't even stand the cold when it rains :(

How many degrees?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: More Questions

Hi, confirmed Yesinn ,for the one located at Fortress HIll- it is on flat terrain, but to get to Fortress Hill MTR station, vide one of the lanes, just a slight slope lah--no worries.

Causeway Bay can be reached easily from Fortress HIll by tram, bus, MTR--very senang .

I understand from YesInn website, the one in Causeway Bay is a dorm(share washroom/bathroom facilities),whereas the one in Fortress Hill is with ensuite washroom facilities.

" Yesinn@Causeway Bay only provides mix dorm or female dorm, if you want to book the private ensuite, please go to Yesinn@Fortress Hill ".

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More Questions

http://www.hko.gov.hk/contente.htm

Check temp. here.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,422 posts
5,638 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More Questions

>>>>is it safe for solo travelers in HK?<<<<<

>>>>Might want to have a read of this recent thread on safety in Hong Kong. <<<<

tripadvisor.com/…45391015

>>>>>Are there hostels or backpackers that are good for meeting other travelers? <<<<

We often recommend Dragon Hostel which is actually more of a guesthouse, in a great location. Its safe, clean but quite basic. You can meet others here but its not as social as a traditional backpacker hostel if you are familiar with these setups.

Dragon Hostel

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Hope this is useful.

7. Re: More Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, December 16, 2013