We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the Stanley Market like?

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
What is the Stanley Market like?

What kind of goods are sold there? Is it fun and interesting?

How much time should we spend there?

thanks

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the Stanley Market like?

I haven't been there for some years but it was fairly small and fairly boring. Stuff you can buy elsewhere including clothes and nick-knacks, etc.

Temple Street night market off Nathan Road is a lot better (it starts around 3pm I seem to remember).

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the Stanley Market like?

Agree. But you don't go to Stanley for the market but for a lunch and a walk along the seafront. Nice place away from the bustle of Central.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,365 posts
6,130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the Stanley Market like?

The Stanley market scene is a nice little street market located in a relaxing and enjoyable community of Stanley. This is a nice place to spend some time when visiting Hong Kong.

The markets carry a similar range of souvenirs that can be found in the Ladies (night) Market (Mongkok) and Temple Street markets (Ya Ma Tei/Jordan) both in Kowloon. However, you can also find some arts and craft like shops - paintings and prints, toys, book shops and other consumables that you won't find at our other popular street markets. The Stanley Markets are also a day time market, closes around 6.30pm while the other two are evening/night markets. Also, you will find many more fixed prices at the Stanley market scene compared to our other street markets around Hong Kong. See the link (w/pictures) of Stanley Markets if helpful.

Stanley Markets

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

There are a couple of nice places to eat in Stanley that we much enjoy. One called Lucy's (one of our personal favorites in Hong Kong) and a nice Indian restaurant called Curry Tiffin. See links if useful.

Lucy's (Stanley)

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Curry Tiffin (Stanley)

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

As for how long to spend there, that could be anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how much time you decide to spend there. We usually spend 2-3 hours in Stanley when visiting, longer if the weather is nice.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
264 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the Stanley Market like?

It really depends on your expectations, I was there in September, its a great place to wander around, its a tourist market not a local one. In most shops there are prices already set and having compared these with the other places we shopped in the following week they are about average. There are some excellent clothes shops which sell good quality items at reasonable prices and in european sizes. There is now a promenade with bars and restaurants and its a good place to go if you have a selection of people - some that want to shop and some that want to sit and watch the world go by. It's not enormous so you won't get lost on your own and you'll feel very comfortable wandering around the narrow little lanes.

If you want to go and do true rummage and local shopping in a market, catch the MTR to Prince Edward and walk down Fa Yuen Street or go to Sham Shui Po and explore that area.

We enjoyed Stanley and would go back there again for lunch and an afternoon of wandering when we return to HK for our next holiday.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,910 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the Stanley Market like?

The standout points of Stanley these days are the waterfront promenade, the Murray Building (not necessarily the restaurants inside though), and the completely redone Stanley Plaza. The area offers many al fresco settings for drinks and dining in a very relaxed atmosphere plus some decent shops. The market is just as Shadowfax described above. I cannot put it any better.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,048 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the Stanley Market like?

I agree that the market isn't the highlight, though I confess to not being a shopper myself . But on a good weather day, Stanley is a really pleasant and relaxing place to spend a few hours or the better part of a day. I loved the redone Murray Building and Museum, and the Plaza area. Also hiked the park, and then the other direction around the beach area and to the Old Commonwealth Cemetery.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,365 posts
6,130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the Stanley Market like?

Lets not forget the Blake Pier and the Tin Hau Temple which is also next to Stanley Plaza, both worth a visit as well. Here are links (w/some pictures) for all if interested.

Murray House

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Blake Pier

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Tin Hau Temple

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Stanley Plaza

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

the cupping room - Nice coffee shop at Stanley Plaza

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

There is also a nice Military Cemetery (see link), Correctional Services Museum and decent beaches as well.

Stanley Military Cemetery

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Stanley is a great place to spend a few hours, plenty to do and see beyond the famous street market. ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Murray House
Murray House
78 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong Correctional Services Museum
Hong Kong Correctional...
33 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the Stanley Market like?

Loved Stanley Street Markets. Yes some things are similar to other markets, but also many things are very different.

I bought a lovely oil painting of the HK skyline. Also bought lots of sourvenir T-Shirts as they come in a larger size and are of a better quality.

Bought the grandkiddies some dress up costumes. A fairy lady bug and Peter pan costume.

There was a ladies linen clothes shops. Sizes go up to 26. They were a bit pricey compared to what I can buy in Aus (for linen). But the shop was full of people buying clothes. Either next door or 2 shops up, bought some clothes, also had larger sizes.

Didnt do too badly considering we werent going to shop, but where there to have a look at the new boardwalk area.

Dont go to Stanley with an organised tour (as we did in 2009), as they dont allow enough time here. Its easy to get to by public transport.

Cheers. Danuta.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,853 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the Stanley Market like?

Agree with others that the market is just part of the equation. Other than shopping, you can enjoy the waterfront, see the historic Murray House, and have a meal or drink either on the main street or up in the alleys. The ride to Stanley is also an experience in itself. Bus No. 6 from Central takes you high up the hills and on to the twisty road down the south side of the island, with very nice views if you sit on the upper deck.

Mentioned in this post
Murray House
Murray House
78 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,769 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the Stanley Market like?

Re: Bus Number 6

Make sure you sit in the front, upper deck, left corner. Experience of a roller coaster. Plus occasional low-lying tree branches whacking on your face. ;)