We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HK>Macau or Macau>HK?

Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
HK>Macau or Macau>HK?

My family of 4 adults are planning a 6D5N vacation to HK/Macau/Zhuhai in mid dec (tentatively looking at 13-18 or 14-19 dec).

Would it make more sense for us to go straight to Macau from HKIA, spend 2 nights there, and then taking the ferry back to HK for the rest of the trip or the other way around?

I was thinking it might be too troublesome and rush if we depart from Macau directly to HKIA on last day as we have to catch the ferry at the right time plus lugging our full baggages.

But I heard that if we were to do this Sea-to-Air transfer, we are eligible for the Air Passenger Departure Tax Refund? Is this true? And is it applicable for all Airlines? (I heard its applicable for SQ and CX flgihts but am looking to fly via United Airlines so not sure if eligible)

Hope I can get some advice on this... thanks!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: HK>Macau or Macau>HK?

Hi, if 13-18- go Macau first, if 14-19- go HK first.

Reason: 14-19- your two nights in Macau,i.e. 14 &15 you will be paying skyrocket hotel room rates..whereas for 13-18- you only pay for Fri's night skyrocket Macau room rates.

Or for Fri night- stay in Zhuhai.

This is first decision rationale.

as for the departure tax refund ..you have to check directly with United Airlines-if verified by UA when check in at Skypier (as there is no upstream check in at Macau Ferry terminal), and eligible for the departure tax refund, you will be provided with a tax refund voucher.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,781 posts
5,807 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HK>Macau or Macau>HK?

Similar to mKiaratravel's thoughts I would simply suggest trying to stay in Macau on non weekend (Friday and Saturday) nights to save on your hotel payments. Hotel rates can be 33-66% higher on weekends so Sunday to Thursday night stays will end up saving you quite a lot.

Edited: 5:14 am, October 29, 2012
Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HK>Macau or Macau>HK?

Hi both, thanks for the advice!

By the way just to check, how long will it take from the moment I arrive at HKIA to transit to SkyPier for the ferry to Macau? Do we need to check-in at SkyPier an hour before our ferry departure as well?

Also, is it advisable to pre-purchase my ferry tickets or purchase directly from HKIA after I touch-down?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,781 posts
5,807 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HK>Macau or Macau>HK?

Transfer to the SkyPier is very quick and simple upon arrival at HKIA. LInk to the SkyPier section of the Hong Kong International Airport website shows that you need to check-in to your ferry at least 60 minutes prior to departure. See link.

hongkongairport.com/eng/transport/transport-…

Here is a link which directs to the ferry schedule from SkyPier if useful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g664891-i12409-k58…

I don't advise you to pre-book because this might cause you issues if your flight is late arriving in Hong Kong

Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HK>Macau or Macau>HK?

Thanks very much BradJill! :)

6. Re: HK>Macau or Macau>HK?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 01, 2013