We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Macau to HKIA to Hong Kong city?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
139 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Macau to HKIA to Hong Kong city?

Hi,

We were thinking of going to Macau straight from HKIA. Our plans changed, we will be visiting Macau at the tail end of the trip.

My question - if we take the ferry from Macau to HKIA, can I go through the airport and take the bus or train to Hong Kong city?

My friends flight is earlier in the day and my flight is later in the evening, I will have 6-8 hours to kill.

Thanks.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Macau to HKIA to Hong Kong city?

>> My question - if we take the ferry from Macau to HKIA, can I go through the airport and take the bus or train to Hong Kong city? <<

Where is your onward flight going to from HKIA? By any chance to the U.S.A.?

Note the footnotes of the Turbojet ferry service from Macau to HKIA:

#1) "...- The service is currently not available for all US-bound flights until further notice"

www.turbojet.com.hk/eng/upstream/macau.asp

#2) "... Boarding Requirements:

This route is only applicable to passengers transiting via Hong Kong International Airport. Passengers will not be able to enter Hong Kong and thus should ensure that no baggage is left outside the restricted area of the airport. "

www.turbojet.com.hk/eng/airport/boarding.asp

With this, I am not sure if you can exit through Immigration after you've reached HKIA SkyPier and then to the terminal gate.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,688 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Macau to HKIA to Hong Kong city?

Happy Feet, doesn't note #1 apply only to the Macau check-in sevicce, not to the use of the Skypier!!

I'm thinking that assumng the OP has a passport allowing visa-free entry into HK they can "fool" the system by checking in for their flight at the Skypier and then going through HK immigration (TWICE).

Of course it would be a LOT simpler, cheaper and time saving to take a ferry to Sheung Wan, check in your luggage at the Airport Express and go sightseeing for 6-8 hours then take the AE to the Airport!!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Macau to HKIA to Hong Kong city?

zhuhai: You are right. As always. Looks like that footnote was on up-stream check-in service.

I too think that it is easier to take a ferry to Sheung Wan and do AIrport Express check in (hopefully available to OP).

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,138 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Macau to HKIA to Hong Kong city?

I don't think the OP has the option of leaving the airport if arriving at SkyPier to transfer to a flight. According to the airport website transferring passengers have to stay in the restricted area (as per the penultimate paragraph here);

hongkongairport.com/eng/transport/transport-…

Edited: 5:30 pm, October 28, 2012
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
139 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Macau to HKIA to Hong Kong city?

Thanks. I think we will take the ferry to Hong Kong island and take the train to airport.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Macau to HKIA to Hong Kong city?

Thank you all for the posts, I am planning a similar itenerary where macau visit comes at the tail end of hong Kong Macau trip where we vacate hong kong hotel take a ferry to macau, spend two nights there & leave via Taipa terminal by Cotaijet direct to HKIA to board a Malaysia Airlines flight to Kuala Lumpur scheduled departure at 1445 Hrs, so I have been surfing the net for all possible info on this.

It shows that Cotaijet is best for this plan, baggage check in at macau will be sent directly to the onward flight so we dont have to pick them up at the HKIA & re check them on to the flight, the last one i dont understand is all ferry companies cost twice as much if going to HKIA as againt going to Hong Kong which is a longer distance for the ferries to travel compared to HKIA, must be some logic there, but cutting cost by going to Kowloon & taking alternate transport to airport isnt economical or logical from time consumption point of view,

I would greatly appriciate if any one can comment on my inferences & correct any misconceptions I have regarding my presumptions above.

Thank you all.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from Macau to HKIA to Hong Kong city?

From PRD and Macao

Passengers can enjoy the speedy ferry service connecting the Pearl River Delta (PRD) and Macao to Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA).

To use the service, passengers must:

Possess the following items:

- A valid ferry ticket;

- A valid air ticket / e-ticket of these participating airlines with confirmed seat for same day departures;

- A valid passport and visa for intended destination / onward destination.

Arrive at SkyPier 120 minutes before scheduled flight departure time for check-in.

Passengers who connect to flight departing before 10:15 hrs may take the last ferry of the previous day to SkyPier. Please click here for the list of participating airlines for the early morning connecting flight.

This flow chart graphically indicates the steps to take.

Minimum connection time

Passengers transferring from PRD / Macao should reserve sufficient time for the following procedures:

Arriving at PRD / Macao 30 minutes before scheduled ferry departure time;

Ferry journey time; and

120 minutes for transfer, check-in and security screening.

Baggage

Hand baggage must not exceed 9” x 14” x 22”. For details about the baggage regulations, please check with SkyPier or airlines.

Ferry passengers transferring at HKIA are only allowed to stay in the restricted area. They are, therefore, not permitted to collect their bags stored in the non-restricted area.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,138 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry from Macau to HKIA to Hong Kong city?

Re #6, Malaysia Airlines is not one of the participating airlines for the upstream baggage check-in at Taipa;

hongkongairport.com/eng/…ferryports.html

You will need to reclaim your baggage when you arrive at HKIA SkyPier. The flow chart at the link below explains the procedure;

hongkongairport.com/eng/transport/transport-…

Fares are higher for ferry services to HKIA as the route carries nowhere near the volume of passengers as routes to the city ferry terminals.

Edited: 12:53 pm, December 10, 2012
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,688 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry from Macau to HKIA to Hong Kong city?

Re the fare: The difference is an Airport Tax (same as paid by airlines), for the use of the check-in & baggage handling services (and presumably the APM). However you have already paid this tax in your air ticket so they refund you $HK120 to avoid charging you twice. At least in Zhuhai, by the time you deduct this tax the fares are about the same.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,279 posts
5,508 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry from Macau to HKIA to Hong Kong city?

Per the HK$120 tax refund, this is also very simple to collect.

1.) Once you arrive at Skyier HKIA, you can pick up your bags right inside the small building you will enter. There is a small carousel, a bit like a small provincial airport carousel you might have seen elsewhere. Your bags will come shooting down shortly after the ferry has offloaded them. Can take 10 minutes or so.

2.) Once you collect them, walk right across the hall, in the same small building, to check-in to your flight and give your bags back to the check-in staff there. This takes all of about 2-3 minutes, assuming there aren't many people there with you. It was mostly empty when we tried this last year.

3.) At the check-in desk, they will take your luggage, give your boarding passes as well as the HKD$120 refund cards (per passenger) and point you in the right direction.

4.) Approaching the HKIA departure hall, you will find a small counter, which is clearly marked for collecting your HK$120. They hand you crisp $100 and $20 notes and you walk into the departure area of HKIA. Its rather simple process once you board your ferry in Macau bound for SkyPier Ferry at HKIA.