We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese New Year 2007

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Chinese New Year 2007

I am in the process of planning a trip to Singapore and HK. Our inital dates of travel include arriving in HK 2/16/07 and departing 02/19/07 in the PM. This will be our first trip to HK and I am particularly looking forward to having a suite made, and shopping. I am also interested in Disneyland. I have read that the New Year will commence on 02/18/07, and thought seeing the fireworks and decorations would awesome.

Any thoughts about whether I should change the dates. Maybe arrive on the 15th and depart on the 18th...

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese New Year 2007

It might be slightly difficult to fulfil all you wishes for such a short stay. There are many constraints - Fireworks will be on Feb 19 at 8pm. Feb 17 is also a holiday, very limited time for making a suit. Shops closed from Feb 18. It could be easier if you can stay longer, arrive eariler, and depart after the firework.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese New Year 2007

Thank you Tin for the information you provided. We have since changed our dates to arrival in HK on 02/14/07 and departing on 02/18/07. Is there anything in print to confirm that that the fireworks display is scheduled for 02/19/07? I read a website on the subject, and it reported that fireworks are displayed on New Years eve at midnight. The Discover Hong Kong website states that New Years day will be 02/18/07. You also mentioned that 02/17/07 is a holiday. What holiday is it? Trying to get the sheduling right to accommodate so many variables is proving to be quite a challenge. Thanks for your help

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese New Year 2007

lilrags,

There isn't anything in print to confirm that that the fireworks display is scheduled for 02/19/07 yet. But for the last 20+ years, the Chinese New Year fireworks was on the second day of the Chinese New Year. I suspect the report which said "fireworks are displayed on New Years eve at midnight" referred to a Western New Year (1/1).

As for public holidays, Chinese New Year Day should be a public holiday, but 2/18/07 is a Sunday, therefore, the eve (02/17/07) is a substituted public holiday.