We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ymca salisbury or novotel nathan rd kowloon - 4 nights

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
qld australia
Level Contributor
354 posts
Save Topic
ymca salisbury or novotel nathan rd kowloon - 4 nights

Hi, we're a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids 11 and 14) and we're also accor advantage plus members which means we will get breakfast for the kids free and also only have to pay for 1 adult for breakfast at the novotel.

We're staying between the 26th to 30th jan - YMCA Salisbury is $11264 ( 2 rooms - no breakfast) and the Novotel Nathan rd, Kowloon, is $7920 including 1 free night (2 rooms) and breakfast for all of us.

I am unsure if the position of the YMCA for the purposes of the lightshow and of course in general it's fantastic central position ( harbour view rooms but they won't be high up as they are renovating all the high floor rooms) is worth paying the extra $3344 HKD? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,345 posts
5,582 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ymca salisbury or novotel nathan rd kowloon - 4 nights

Hello familytravel000

The YMCA Salisbury is generally considered a very good accommodation and is regularly recommended to visitors on this forum. However, if you are more budget conscious and find it less critical to stay on the harbor, then I'd suggest giving high consideration to the Novotel, which is also a good hotel as well and is not terribly far away from the TST scene.

Also, if you are considering staying on the harbor and paying the extra amount simply because of the light show - called 'Symphony of Lights' - then I would take a pass. The laser show is ok but nothing special and it often disappoints. In short, I wouldn't spend the extra money simply to be closer to the location of this show. Instead, just head down to the waterfront one evening during your trip to watch, if you are interested. Here is a link (w/pictures) if helpful

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g294217-d548…

Either way, have a nice trip to Hong Kong.

Drysdale
Level Contributor
76 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ymca salisbury or novotel nathan rd kowloon - 4 nights

Hi, I stayed at the Novotel Nathan Road last October and will be doing so next January with my two granddaughters, 15 and 17. It's great value for money, close to the MTR, which will take you just about anywhere you want to go. Also, very handy for the night markets, great shopping and eating. I was greatly disappointed in the light show - it doesn't rate on my list of must-do's for Hong Kong. Check out what deals you can get for the Club Privileges - it's extra but well worth it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,111 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ymca salisbury or novotel nathan rd kowloon - 4 nights

I have stayed in a harbour view room on Kowloon side for the past 8 years and cannot tell you how disappointing the light show has become. LAST NIGHT from our room there was one building with 3 lights only in our view. Having stayed in a harbour view room for 10 out of 11 holidays in Hong Kong, I will only stay in a harbour view room - but not for the light show. Walk down and see it from the boardwalk. It only goes for about 10 minutes from about 8 pm. It is now a great disappointment. Both hotels are very close together. I know the YMCA has a pool and gym; not sure about the Novotel

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,195 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ymca salisbury or novotel nathan rd kowloon - 4 nights

The Light Show has actually improved over the years as more buildings are participating. However, it was never very good to start with. Even if you watch it from the actual Promenade, the music is from yesteryear and the whole setup just feels cheesy. The show is passable but it should definitely not be a deciding factor on whether you pick a harborview room.

5. Re: ymca salisbury or novotel nathan rd kowloon - 4 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, December 14, 2013