We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to the Giant Buddha

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Best way to get to the Giant Buddha

HI,

I am a little confused about the best way to get to the Giant Buddha. I have read that you can catch the MTR or the ferry. Can someone tell me how to get there for each of these as I will go either way. We also want to go on the cable car as well.

Thanks

Jodie

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,336 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to the Giant Buddha

Depending on where you start, you cannot reach the Giant Buddha by MTR or ferry alone.

Your options to reach Giant Buddha:

1) Ferry plus bus/taxi on Lantau Island, or

2) MTR to Tung Chung, then take cable car, or bus, or taxi to Giant Buddha (Ngong Ping).

The following webpage on Hong Kong Extras has pretty good directions on how to get there. Read under heading "Ngong Ping", which is where the Giant Buddha located at.

http://www.hongkongextras.com/_lantau.html

sydney
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to the Giant Buddha

Thanks HappyFeet, the website has made it so much easier to follow. The information i had was to catch the ferry to Mui Wo, then a bus to Tai O and the Giant Buddha and then Ngong Ping back to Tung Chung. This seemed to confusing and when i checked google maps it was going round half the island!!

Hopefully i have understood this. I catch the MTR to Tung Chung then catch the cable car up and back then back on the MTR to Kowloon.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,336 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to the Giant Buddha

>> Hopefully i have understood this. I catch the MTR to Tung Chung then catch the cable car up and back then back on the MTR to Kowloon. <<

Yes. You can certainly do that. Or if you want to try the ferry route coming back (takes a little longer), then:

1) Take MTR to Tung Chung, then cable car up.

2) From Ngong Ping, take bus #2 from Ngong Ping to Mui Wo (ferry terminal), take a ferry to Central, then take another ferry - Star Ferry - to Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon. Or from Central, take the MTR to your destination in Kowloon.

4. Re: Best way to get to the Giant Buddha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:13 am, October 10, 2012
Edited: 7:13 am, October 10, 2012
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to the Giant Buddha

Thanks everyone. Nearly answered all my questions.

With regards to the "buddha", my bad back wont allow me to do stairs.

But with the link provided by happyfeet #1, i read:

"To reach the Buddha involves climbing some 268 steps to the lower tier of the podium although there is also a less steep access road leading to the car park at the lower tier from almost opposite the entrance to Ngong Ping Village."

Does this road take you right up to the Buddha? Not sure what the "lower Tier" means.

Can a taxi take you up this road?

Cheers. Danuta.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,202 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to the Giant Buddha

The "lower tier" is the lower podium tier (there are three tiers) on which the Buddha sits at the top of the 268 steps. Unfortunately, taxis are not allowed access to the road leading to the car park and pedestrians are no longer allowed to walk up that road either. Only tour coaches and authorised vehicles are allowed on the road to the car park (from where there is a choice of wheelchair ramp or short flight of steps to the Buddha). Access to the Buddha for people with mobility problems is poor.

If you can't climb the steps you can still view the Buddha from the piazza below, or alternatively, I think the only option to reach the Buddha podium is tour coach.

See;

flickr.com/photos/…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to the Giant Buddha

Thanks for that. What a pity to not be able to go to the top.

I will just have to get some amazing pics from the bottom of the steps.

St. Louis, Mo
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get to the Giant Buddha

I saw the pictures of the Buddah and the final steps. We will be on a motor coach tour. Just wondering if we climb the final steps what will there be to see?

Thanks

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,336 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get to the Giant Buddha

You can walk around the circular podium platform on which the giant buddha status was built and admire the view of Ngong Ping, Lantau Island, and - of course - the gigantic buddha statue itself.

There are some exhibits inside the buddha statue. I believe they charge for admission beyond certain point.

10. Re: Best way to get to the Giant Buddha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:55 am, October 10, 2012