We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa run to Macau

mumbai, india
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
visa run to Macau

I shall be in HK for 15days. I am given to understand that as an Indian national I can visit HK without a visa. I plan to go to Macau for a day (overnight stay) during this period. Would this be considered as an extension of the permitted time of stay in HK? can anyone advise

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: visa run to Macau

I think it will. Say that you're entitled to a 30-day visa-free period in HK, and you go to Macau on your 29th day. When you return to HK, you have another 30 days to go as your 'counter' will be reset.

mumbai, india
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visa run to Macau

Many thanks for the prompt information. I should have mentioned earlier that as an Indian national I am officially permitted a visa free entry into HK only for a period of 14 days. Since I have my return flight to India booked for the 15th day of my stay, I was wondering whether a visa run into Macau would help to gain an extension. Also would you be able to advise whether a visa on arrival at HK would be available to me at the prescribed fee?

Many thanks.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,697 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: visa run to Macau

Indian passport holders are allowed 14 days visa-free entry to Hong Kong;

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_4.htm

If you intend staying for 15 days I think it it would be advIsable to obtain a visa regardless of whether you intend visiting Macau during your visit. Whilst your passport would normally be stamped for another 14 days on returning from Macau, you risk being refused entry when you enter Hong Kong in the first place if the immigration officer requires you to show return air ticket from Hong Kong as evidence that you intend leaving HK before the 14-day visa-free period expires.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
8,121 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visa run to Macau

Unfortunately many of your countrymen (and some other nationalities) have become known for taking advantage of the Macau/ Shenzhen run while working illegally in Hong Kong, so immigration personnel will frequently ask extra questions on these people's return, particularly if they leave HK on the very last day of their allowed time and then return on the same day or one day later.

If you want to avoid this, ensure that you can produce your confirmed onward air ticket and hotel reservation for the days up to your flight time (or confirmed accommodation in mainland China if you are transiting HK and leaving by train or bus).

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: visa run to Macau

Good day to you sir,

I have been given 14 days to stay in hong kong as a tourist and during my stay I have applied for a dependant visa here. About 3 days before my stay expires, i applied for an extension & the hk immigration have just given me 2 days. And 2 days before i leave hong kong i will be visiting Macau with a hk resident which is her father. Is it possible that the immigration would extend my stay in hong kong just so i could take my wife to the hospital check ups since she is pregnant? She is also a hk resident, im just worried the immigration in macau wouldn't let me enter hk nor extend my stay. Please do reply to this. Thank you!

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,697 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: visa run to Macau

Surely only the Hong Kong Immigration Department can answer your question;

http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/contact-us.html

Edited: 3:15 pm, March 15, 2013
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visa run to Macau

The airline of the departing company has to verify wether or not a passenger for fills all the requirements to enter the destination country. Normally they just check the visa.

But if someone only is entitled to stay for 14 days without a visa, and has a return ticket that is past that date, they will not allow him/her to fly. The airline will be charged with all the costs if the passenger is send back. Also if this happens too often, they might loose landing rights. So airlines are careful.

8. Re: visa run to Macau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 18, 2014