We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beiging/Shanghai

Williamsburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Beiging/Shanghai

Thanks to Katetam for advise regarding Hong Kong. Post mentioned going into Beiging and/or Shanghai to pick up with a tour group, so now I have another question.

Have any or you flown into Beiging and then flew down to get on a Yangtze river cruise and leaving home from Shanghai?

What are your thoughts about this type of excursion as compared to an "all land" tour?

Our main objective is to be in a group with a tour guide that speaks both languages.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beiging/Shanghai

Whether you take a LAND only tour or one including the Yangtze river cruise, it's really up to you. I know the Yangtze river cruise is quite an experience, the sights are very spectacular, and only in China !

I think you should consider how many days you have for each city b/c Beijing is a city full of history, culture, and colours, you will need at least 4-5 days for a good time there. Shanghai- At least 3 days, and then Hong Kong AT LEAST 5 days. So, do you still have time for a tour with CRUISE? I wouldn't say the cruise is a MUST DO for first timers to China. That's all I can say.

Tour guide language, don't worry, most local tour guides who does foreigners all speak very comprehnsible English. Some speak VERY VERY good english... even better than HK locals.

I don't know how many of you are travelling, you really should look into booking a private tour guide for Beijing. It's much better and you will enjoy the flexibility b/c there is SO much walking on foot in Beijing as many sights do not allow the tour buses to drive in there.

Shanghai- I think one day city tour is good enough. It's quite a fun city to explore on your own.

HK- same, city tour for 1 day, and then you can explore on your own.

Hope this helps.

Williamsburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beiging/Shanghai

Once again, thanks to Katetam for reply to

Beiging/Shanghai inquiry. What you replied makes a lot of sense. My husband and I are senior citizens and now know that we will have to engage a tour in Beiging. I do agree the cruise might be a little too much for us to handle in the same time period for our first time in China. A quick tour in Shanghai makes sense, too, but feel that doing Hong Kong in addition to the above would be too much for us to handle first time aroung. Again, thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beiging/Shanghai

Henningsmill, take a look at this website. I think you might find something you need and like here.

If you are really tight for time, I would recommend that you fly to HK, stay for 3 nights, then head to Beijing for 5 days 4 nights for a packaged tour. No tour for HK.

This itinerary would be quite comfortable for you both, and physically not too exerting. AND you would get to see alot, shop, and eat.

www.beijingimpression.com/package/INDEX.htm