We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR Final Part -- Dec 11- Dec 16 2011

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
JBR Final Part -- Dec 11- Dec 16 2011

Final part separated into 2 messages….

Day 5: Michelin Dim Sum, Nathan Road, Symphony of Lights

After 4 hectic days, we decided to go slow on our fifth day. We went to Tim Ho Wan 添好运 (this is simplified Chinese, the one on their signboard is in Traditional Chinese) for breakfast , reaching there at 9.10am. If you haven't already heard, Tim Ho Wan is a one-star Michelin rated restaurant, serving good dim sum at cheap prices. This is so true. Read on. We went to the main branch at Kwong Wa St ( Yau Ma Tei Stn. Exit A2. Look to your left, turn into the alley [with Burger King] and you should be at Dundas St 邓打士街. head to Waterloo St. One block b4 Waterloo St is Kwong Wa St). The shop opens at 10am but there was already a queue forming outside the shop. The queue snaked on as it gets nearer to 10am. TIP: Grab their order form (pink/green slips of paper) and salivate at their choices while jotting down your order. We were lucky to be one of the first group into the shop. We ordered 9 items with prices ranging from HKD10 to HKD 22, and our total bill was a mere HKD 147!! *GASP!* The food was really, really good and fresh. There were 1 or 2 mediocre items in my standard but some exceptionally fantastic ones like its cha siew bao (roasted pork bun) and har gao (prawn dumplings). We couldn't get this price and standard of food in Singapore. Perhaps there are other better or cheap dim sum restaurants in HK but since we only tried this, there's no comparison but it's worth it for us.

Tim Ho Wan is really close to Fa Yuen Street and Ladies Market. We do not have any must-go places in the afternoon so we stroll along Nathan Road and walk from Yau Ma Tei Station to Mong Kok, stopping at whichever shops we like. TIP: I notice that some owners at Ladies Market are probably not locals and since everyone sell almost the same things, they can get pretty pushy or arrogant. But what we have learnt is that, if you have an attitude problem, you will not earn our money, no matter how much we like your product. Likewise, if you are friendly and honest, we are willing to fork out more for your stuff. So if you like an item and the owner ignores you, put it back and walk on.

Before heading to Avenue of Stars for the Symphony of Lights show, we went to Causeway Bay for more retail therapy. We also tried delicious desserts at Yee Shun Milk Company (milk desserts) and Hui Lau Shan (mango desserts). Both are pretty decent and plentiful in HK. We then took Star Ferry from Central to TST. We got the upper deck seats for a better view. After catching the amazing fireworks at Disneyland, I thought the Symphony of Lights show pale in comparison. Of course, I know they are of 2 different genres but personally, I didn't think too much of the Symphony of Lights Show. But I really like walking along Avenue of Stars and looking at the lightings of the Skyscrapers and ferries and just stoning out, enjoying the breeze with a whiff of "sea-flavour".

Mentioned in this post
Nathan Road
Nathan Road
1,890 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Fa Yuen Street
Fa Yuen Street
202 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Ladies Market
Ladies Market
2,627 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,046 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Star Ferry
Star Ferry
19,643 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong Disneyland
Hong Kong Disneyland
14,397 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Symphony of Lights
Symphony of Lights
1,753 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Yee Shun Milk Company
Yee Shun Milk Company
318 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hui Lau Shan
Hui Lau Shan
628 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR Final Part -- Dec 11- Dec 16 2011

Day 6: Final Day =(

We didn't plan anything for our last day, in case we decided to postpone any activities/attractions which we planned for the first five days of the trip. But having completed all, we decided to head to Central's H&M as my friend regretted not buying her stuff when we were there previously. Breakfast was at one of the cha chan teng in Central (forgotten its name, but it's opposite Yung Kee). I wanted so badly to eat noodles as im a noodle-person and I haven't had noodles even for once on this trip! It was a pity the cha chan teng only serves noodles and rice items after 10.30am so we took a continental breakfast set each which comes with beverage, scrambled eggs, bacon, toasted bun, pumpkin mash, sausage and baked beans. We also ordered HK’s very famous Polo Bun, which was nowhere to be found on its menu but we see other customers eating it. Yummy…

H&M was just two blocks down the street at Queen's Road Central, and it was almost empty! The first time we were here, it was evening and the crowd makes it difficult to shop around. We spent an hour or so in H&M and I bought quite a few items. TIP: Even though Singapore has recently opened H&M too, the items sold in both countries are slightly different. Price-wise, it's more or less the same, i.e. tops, accessories, bottoms, jackets etc are within the same price range. I was very unlucky, as I didn't check my shopping bag after purchase and it was only when i'm back in Singapore did I realize the cashier probably left 2 items out, even though I’ve paid for them already. Oh well.....I've learnt to be more careful.

We decided to give Yung Kee another chance. Wow Yung Kee is very crowded! We were shuffled in and told to sit at their waiting area. We were at the door and kept seeing the waitress serving the big and small groups who just walked through the doors, ushering them up the stairs. We thought perhaps they made a reservation. So we asked if there are any available seats for us. The waitress rolled her eyes and said we have to go up the stairs to get a queue number first. wooo..chill it...we didnt know! which was why we asked, isn't it. On the second storey, it was even more crowded. peolple were queueing on the stairs! We are hungry and doubted we could wait so long. Besides, no one would notice even if we leave. So we walked out and roamed around to look for food.

We chanced upon this small eatery (一乐餐厅,or something like that) one block in front of Yung Kee. The store front is very small yet crowded, with roasted poultry on display and a lady ushering the people from the queue into the shop. We shared a 6-person table with 3 other customers. The menu was pasted on the walls. We could read Chinese so there's no trouble understanding the menu. Ordering was tough. The guy who served us couldn't understand Mandarin and English and we are hopeless in Cantonese. So we pointed at the menu! I saw people eating a type of noodles (whitish like thick bee hoon in Singapore terms) and wanted that too but don't know what's that item on the menu. And a saviour came to our rescue. One of the ladies sharing the table with us is also a fellow Singaporean working in HK. She probably heard our conversation and told the guy what I wanted. Phew!! She's friendly, suggesting I should try the other noodle item instead, which I gladly took her advice. She helped us ordered drinks as well (I can't even say Coke in Cantonese!!) The food was very very yummy. I had roasted goose and barbecued pork noodles in soup and my friend had the same combination but with rice. The roasted goose drumstick was way better than Yung Kee's- juicy, fragrant and meaty with a crispy skin. I do not eat barbecued pork back in Singapore, favouring roasted pork and duck more. But since I don't know how to order my own food and the lady had helped me with it, I shouldn't grumble. And the barbecued pork didn’t disappoint. With the right proportion of fats and lean meat to it, and a dash of Chinese wine aroma, I didn’t regret. They are very generous with their meat and noodles and it only cost HKD62.

The lady was very nice, suggesting ways to kill our last few hours in HK. She suggested the Ding-Ding Tram, which was originally on our plan but we scrapped that as we do not want to risk getting lost like we did in Macau. She told us where we can board the tram and that if we see anything that we like, we can get off and hop back on once we are down. We heed her advice, took the Ding-Ding Tram and love it. If I bring my family to HK in future, I will bring them on the Ding-Ding tram first, so that they can enjoy the sights in real HK first before jumping to all the other tourists’ attractions.

And it was time to fly home. Last TIP: If you are a sucker for Disneyland souvenirs and whatnots (like my friend and I was), there’s a Disneyland store at HKIA Terminal 2 Free Access area. So you can do your final round of shopping there. But a point to note: It’s not the complete range of stuff sold at the airport.

Thoughts:

-HK has very friendly people, contrary to hearsays that they are aloof. Most speak in perfect English, accentuated with thick Cantonese accent.

-Weather is unpredictable during my period of stay. It fluctuates within cold, cooling and warm during my 6-day stay. Do not forget your body moisturizer too, especially those coming from a tropical country!

-The food are very yummy in general. Follow the crowd and you will never go wrong.

Hope my JBR helps others in planning their furture trip to HK!

Mentioned in this post
Hong Kong Disneyland
Hong Kong Disneyland
14,397 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Macau
Macau
China
Yung Kee Restaurant
Yung Kee Restaurant
1,420 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,359 posts
6,130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR Final Part -- Dec 11- Dec 16 2011

Another good read. Thx for posting, cloversze!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR Final Part -- Dec 11- Dec 16 2011

Thanks BradJill!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR Final Part -- Dec 11- Dec 16 2011

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your reports and am sorry this is the last one. They'll be a help to loads of people who are planning a trip to Hong Kong.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR Final Part -- Dec 11- Dec 16 2011

Agree completely with BradJill and Chrella - Absolutely loved reading your trip reports - Definitely filled with lots of good tips! I'm glad you had a great time, and once again, thank you so much for posting this up! It was such an enjoyable read! :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR Final Part -- Dec 11- Dec 16 2011

Hey guys,

Glad that u guys enjoy reading my JBR! I enjoyed my trip thoroughly and it was also fun sharing my trip reports on TA. I love reading trip reports too, and am glad my trip report brought joy to others. =)

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR Final Part -- Dec 11- Dec 16 2011

Fantastic reports!

Well done cloversze

8. Re: JBR Final Part -- Dec 11- Dec 16 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 07, 2014