We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typ Octopus Card

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Italy
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Typ Octopus Card

Hi there,

I want to take from airport the normal busses to arrive at Kowloon and only at departure I will take the Airport Express for checking in the baggage at Kowloon City Station. Makes sense that I buy the Octopus Card with one Airport Travel or can I buy a "normal" Octopus Card with enough money on it for paying the Airport Express?

Ciao

Irene

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Typ Octopus Card

Both types of Octopus make sense. Which one suits you more depends on how much you use MTR underground trains. It works out that if you use MTR more than HK$20 on average per day for 3 consecutive days (which is quite likely especially you are going to Lantau), the Octopus card with an AE journey worth more.

That assumes you are travelling alone, if not, the AE group ticket would be better, and a normal Octopus card to be used for other transports.

Singapore
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Typ Octopus Card

Is there an octopus card without Airport express but unlimited access for 3 days ? Meaning, can take any number of trips for MTR, buses, ferry etc for a specific period and for a fixed amount

I tried to locate the information at the web site but does not seem to find any.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Typ Octopus Card

chanche3,

No. But there is there a Tourist MTR 1-Day Pass (not Octopus card) without Airport express but unlimited access for 1 day (24 hours) for HK$50.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/ticket.html

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Typ Octopus Card

For the avoidance of doubt, the Tourist MTR 1-Day Pass is for MTR only, not for bus, ferry etc.

Fairford, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Typ Octopus Card

what card would be best suited to get around for 5 days using buses/trains & ferry? I don't require any airport transfers as they are already arranged.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Typ Octopus Card

GlenPF,

The usual HK$150 Octopus card is suitable. You can always top up the card at stations or convenience stores.

Fairford, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Typ Octopus Card

Thanks Tin.