We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sai kung

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
sai kung

We will be staying at Sai Kung in May, for 9 days and then going to Kowloon for 4 days. Would appreciate any info on getting to Kowloon from Sai Kung as we will be going there often. Also want to go to Shenzhen for shopping. Do I get a visa before I leave or when I get there?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sai kung

Kowloon To Sai Kung, there are many ways.

1) Mongkok- There are mini buses that says SAI KUNG, it takes about 30-45minutes direct to Sai Kung City. Depends how "crazy" the driver is.

2) Hang Hau MTR Station, there are green mini buses to Sai Kung.

3) Taxi is another option, but would be expensive.

4) Choi Hung MTR station, many mini buses to Sai Kung City.

Be aware Sai Kung is the AREA's name, there are many areas within Sai Kung, I am assuming you are talking about Sai Kung City?

Shenzhen- you can either get the visal on arrival at Lo Wu border, or you can get the visa before you head there. (assuming you hold Australian passport)

Sai Kung, N.T...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sai kung

Hi Boondy,

Congrats on choosing the best part of HK to stay in!

I thought I'd just expand upon the good advice you got earlier by saying that it's shorter to travel from Kowloon to Choi Hung rather than Hang Hau. Get the #1A minibus at the N.Clearwater Bay Rd exit (sorry - can't remember - think it is "A") and it goes directly to SK. If you're coming from the Island, Hang Hau is definitely the best way to go and then get the #101 minibus to SK.

Just in case you are planning on staying overnight in Shenzhen (altho - can't imagine there's any need to do that) - the visa you get at Lo Wu is only for one day so you would need to get a regular visa prior to leaving (about 2 days from most travel agents - faster if you pay more).

I publish a magazine and web portal strictly about Sai Kung - it will give you lots of info on the district:

http://www.exploresaikung.com

Feel free to contact me if you have any more specific info reqmts (that's what I'm here for!).

Cheers!

Judy

judy at exploresaikung.com

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
310 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sai kung

Nice post Judy.

Thks for your rich information on getting to Sai Kung.

I'm planning a trip to HK in May and still contemplating whether I'm coming to Sai Kung.

The main reason is transport problems coz the area is not served by MTR and KCR unlike places like Sha Tin and Yuen Lung that seems easier to access from a tourist point of view.

Will definitely find time to visit Sai Kung from my hotel in Kowloon....

thank you.

roy :)

Sai Kung, N.T...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sai kung

Try not to let the transport phase you, Roy - it's just one bus ride after the MTR and, actually, as a tourist - I'd rather be travelling above ground so that I can see all the sights on the way to a destination, rather than below ground. If the weather and visibility are good you get a great view of Port Shelter, the islands across and small harbours with various shapes and sizes of boats as you go from the MTR to Sai Kung town.

Enjoy!

Judy

http://www.exploresaikung.com

Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sai kung

Thanks a lot Judy for the info. I am sure we will love Sai Kung, and will certainly ask for more info if needed,

Boondy