We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat good n cheap tim sum, roast pigeon in TST?

Singapore
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
23 helpful votes
Where to eat good n cheap tim sum, roast pigeon in TST?
Save

Hi,

I am staying in Guangdong Hotel at Prat Ave in Tsim Sha Tsui, any good n cheap tim sum in TST? Or nearby area?

Where can find good roast pigeon? Any good one in TST?

Tolanaro, Madagascar
Level Contributor
253 posts
171 reviews
62 helpful votes
1. Re: Where to eat good n cheap tim sum, roast pigeon in TST?
Save

Not sure about TST but I know there is BBQ Pigeon in Fo Tan Village (MTR: Fo Tan)

This one seems quite popular.

Tolanaro, Madagascar
Level Contributor
253 posts
171 reviews
62 helpful votes
2. Re: Where to eat good n cheap tim sum, roast pigeon in TST?
Save

Try Tim Ho Wan in Mongkok - Dim Sum

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
3. Re: Where to eat good n cheap tim sum, roast pigeon in TST?
Save

@shalom73, wah, you doing a lot of research for your upcoming trip ah.

for roast pigeon- locals usually go to Shatin.

But for karma- I do not take it,and also suckling pig and for environmental - shark fin.

Quite terrible la,actually in HK--but in China-not terrible,but eerie if I share with you what I saw-you will puke in disgust.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
4. Re: Where to eat good n cheap tim sum, roast pigeon in TST?
Save

@jojolimmh, by the way, what is your definition of cheap-and you really do not mind,if have to share table, and/or next to table with a guy talking like he wants everyone to know his story..and non stop he is at it.

Or people standing in front of you "chasing" you to finish so they can have your seat.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
5. Re: Where to eat good n cheap tim sum, roast pigeon in TST?
Save

yep--as advised by @shalom73, Fo Tan in Shatin district.

the dai Pai dong at the bus depot- for the roast pigeon

Singapore
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
23 helpful votes
6. Re: Where to eat good n cheap tim sum, roast pigeon in TST?
Save

@Mktravel- thks for yr info. Oh no, sounds disgusting. Cheap as in reasonable price but no dont wanna share table, holiday supposed to enjoy but again l dont wanna over pay. Hahaha.. I guess places like dai pai dong not suitable then. Maybe places like cha chan teng would be good.

@Shalom73-Thks for for ye info.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
25,192 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
7. Re: Where to eat good n cheap tim sum, roast pigeon in TST?
Save

Being in Tsim Sha Tsui, "cheap" dim sum would be hard to find. For one thing, dim sum is one of the more expensive lunching option compared to other styles of food. Rent is expensive in TST. You will find restaurants inside hotels or big buildings. Many are good. But won't be "cheap" (not sure what measurement you use).

If you like Cantonese BBQs, there is a Guang Dong Restaurant on Hankow Road, not too far from your hotel. It is a little hole-in-the-wall. The cha chan teng that you mentioned. The best is roast pork. Char siu and roast goose are good too.

This one:

http://www.openrice.com/english/restaurant/sr2.htm?shopid=5736

A web blog on the restaurant:

http://checkouthk.blogspot.com/2011/03/guang-dong-barbecue-restaurant.html

= = = = =

If you want dim sum, and don't mind going a little further to the Jordan area (10 - 15 min walking from your hotel)... I have good experience at:

"Choi Fook Royal Banquet" Restaurant. Really good dim sum at a reasonable price. They have discount pricing for eating before 11:30 am.

It is on Saigon Street in the middle of the block between Nathan Road and Chi Wo Street, on the 2/F. Next to Novotel Hotel.

Order from the menu. Last time I and my wife were there, ordered like a 10+ dishes, with 10% gratuity, tea charges, etc... HKD $200 for 2 persons. (Before 1130 am) A similar meal over at Maxim's Palace, City Hall, Central... about HKD $500+.

Singapore
Level Contributor
270 posts
15 reviews
5 helpful votes
8. Re: Where to eat good n cheap tim sum, roast pigeon in TST?
Save

jojolimmh:

Cha chan tengs also require you to share tables. I think only the middle-range reataurants and onwards will allow you to have your own table.

If you don't mind travelling a couple of MTR stations away to Mong Kok, Tao Heung at Grand Tower (opposite Langham Place Mall) serves cheap and decent dim sum. It's a big restaurant with many tables, but during peak hours, you may need to share tables. It's really not that bad.

Regards,

twentyofive

http://inaholidaymood.blogspot.com

Singapore
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
23 helpful votes
9. Re: Where to eat good n cheap tim sum, roast pigeon in TST?
Save

@Happy feet-Thks HappyFeet, will try out the yummy roast goose. Love roast goose, is one of my must eat list.

@Twentyofive-Thks Twentyofive, I intend to go Tao Heung on the third day. After that shopping around Mongkok area. Dont wanna run around so am planning to find all the good where l shop at.

1st day-I touched down around 6pm on the 8th, by the time my bus reach TST Guangdong Hotel probly abt 7.30/8pm. Intend to go to nearby(TST) for roast goose for dinner.

2nd day-Citygate for lunch and shopping. Dinner at Yunyan Sichuan Restaurant in TST Miramar Shopping Centre.

3rd day-Lunch at Tao Heung in Mongkok Grand Tower, then shopping. Break time dessert at Tong Pak Fu(99 Hak Po Street. Dinner is yummy seafood at Po Toi O at Clearwater Bay.

4th day(last day before flying back to Singapore)-Lunch either(1)Hong Kong Old Restaurant at Miramar Shopping Ct or (2)Spring Deer at 42 Mody Road, still finding out if there is a better place nearby Guangdong Hotel for lunch before heading for our last round shopping in TST as our flight is 8pm.

10. Re: Where to eat good n cheap tim sum, roast pigeon in TST?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.