We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Many Days in Hong Kong vs. Bangkok?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
328 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
How Many Days in Hong Kong vs. Bangkok?

I will be traveling to HK & Bangkok in April. We have 8 days to see both HK and Bangkok. How many days will I need in HK to see all of the major city sights, plus some of Lantau and Sha Tin. We are active (in our 30's) but would also like some time to enjoy our hotel (The Peninsula). In addtion, there is a lot we want to see in Bangkok as well!

HELP & THANKS!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Many Days in Hong Kong vs. Bangkok?

You don't say if you have eight clear days or if that includes travel. Tough to be specific on such a general query, but I could live in Hong Kong, there is so much to see; Bangkok would not impress me the same.

That said, for only eight days, my choice would be to split my time 50/50; four days will let you see a lot in both places; Bangkok can be an assault on the senses.

My one tip for Bangkok would be to be prepared for traffic; the transit is not nearly as efficient as in Hong Kong and much of your time can be spent just getting from point A to point B. To see Bangkok in a short period of time, you have to know a little about when you can move about the city and when to plan for time sightseeing on foot; ("rush" hour on city streets can be really very very very slow there). Often it is best to make your way to the river to take river transit but again, you really have to experience the city to understand.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
354 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Many Days in Hong Kong vs. Bangkok?

Hi

This an opinion only I really hated Bangkok I have travelled the world and I would never go back . On the other hand I loved Hong Kong

I felt Bangkok was dirty overcrowded beyond belief, shocking traffic and I often felt unsafe

Hong Kong is clean, Safe,easy to get around ,lots to see and do

So as the song says "one night in Bangkok"

But each to his own if there are certain things you want to see maybe a couple of days

If it was me it would be 8 days at the Peninsula living like a king

Northampton
Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Many Days in Hong Kong vs. Bangkok?

Id echo what the other's said, for me Bangkok was very unimpressive. The air pollution was beyond belief - and like has already been mentioned, you will spend 80% of your time in traffic jams. You really need to watch yourself in Bangkok - as on every street corner there is someone waiting to mug you or rip you off. Save your time and money and spend 8 days in Hong Kong. There are so many other worthwhile places to visit in Asia - forget Bangkok.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Many Days in Hong Kong vs. Bangkok?

Just have to supplement my earler message after reading the last two posts.

You are in your 30's and active. I am not sure if "new york" means NYC but if it does, Bangkok is no worse than NYC in terms of safety, and seemingly "safe" Hong Kong and Tokoyo have a lot of crime which is not reported however, those cities are generally more affluent than Bangkok; where you have poverty and big cities you have more crime. IMO in either of Hong Kong or Bangkok, if you go where the tourists go, and have a general awareness of your surroundings and don't go where you obviously wouldn't want to be, then you will as safe in Bangkok as you would be in NYC. Neither NYC or Bangkok is the place where I would walk in a central park at night alone looking like I'm from out of town with an expensive camera hanging from my neck and gold chains on my wrists.

To add a little about Bangkok, it IS an assault on the senses, but it is also a vibrant exciting exotic city where you can dine in world class cuisine (Thai, Italian, French) for what a good burger joint would charge you in NYC. We've had dinner for two in a first class restaurent, with appetizer, main course, and dessert with wine, (and waiters wearing black formal with white gloves and dinner music care of grand piano and violin duet) for US$50 in Bangkok.

I would strongly recommend you consider locating in the center of Bangkok (budget end would be The Buddy Lodge on Khaosan Road -- read the tripadvisor reviews and google; it's excellent value for price and very quiet, safe and new), or in the other nearby (not on Khaosan Road) hotels by the river which are self-contained first class western-style accomodation resort/hotels.

Bangkok has a wealth of culture to explore, the Palace, numerous and very varied Bhuddist temples, shopping of every description, historic and ridiculously cheap river tours where you can visit centuries old historic palaces, a living museum housing imperial boats which are still used by the current monarch, and much much more.

Bangkok is exotic and yes it can have bad air days (especially if you are travelling by open air tuk-tuk in rush hour), but even that experience is not to be missed. Hong Kong will seem sterile by comparison.

Both cities are wonderful contrasts and show two beautiful and radically different faces of Asia.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Many Days in Hong Kong vs. Bangkok?

And if you find you really find you don't like Bangkok, they have great river tour day-trips leaving from the tourist center of the city city which take you right out of the city to other fabulous destinations where Thai culture and history abound in a completely non-urban setting.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Many Days in Hong Kong vs. Bangkok?

I wouldn't add much more to Rob1's excellent information and very valid opinions, (I support most of what he said).

Assuming you have 8 days for sightseeing... I would split 5 days for HK, and 3 days for Bangkok.

I can bet though you will definitely feel 5 days will NOT be enough for HK. You will wish to be back very soon !

UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How Many Days in Hong Kong vs. Bangkok?

Got to say I'm surprised you hated Bangkok ! My family and I fell in love with the place and are going back again for our 3rd visit in April - and I'm sure it wont be our last !!!

Personally I could spend all 8 days in Bangkok ...cant you extend your trip :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
343 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Many Days in Hong Kong vs. Bangkok?

Hi Guys,

Sorry I have to agree with bobglen. My husband and myself just love Bangkok and spent 8 days there last April and found it wasnt long enough. In Thailand in April they celebrate the Songkran festival and it's absolutely fabulous they throw water over you or squirt you with a water pistol and as it's hot its terrific fun and we are 50 and we loved it. Especially Chainge Mai where people come back time after time.

This will be our first trip to HK and I know we will enjoy it as much as we enjoyed Bangkok.We have been to Bangkok twice now and loved it both times.

But again it's up to the individuals likes and dislikes.

Perhaps this time slit 50/50 then next time pick which one appeals the most but most of all enjoy.

Pauline

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Many Days in Hong Kong vs. Bangkok?

'You really need to watch yourself in Bangkok - as on every street corner there is someone waiting to mug you or rip you off.'

What an exaggerated load of garbage! In all our trips to Bangkok have never encountered this at all. Gee you must really have been looking hard. I certainly see more to be concerned about in cities in Australia. Of course you need to sensible like you would in any city in the world but your statement is a gross misrepresentation of the truth.

Bangkok is a fascinating city and the people are generally friendly and helpful. The shopping is great, the food is devine, great cultural attractions and fantastic day trips (River Kwai, Old City, Elephant ground etc etc). Much cheaper overall than Hong Kong. I would definetly see both places as they both have much to offer however make sure you go with an open mind and tolerance of others. Good luck Catherine

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Many Days in Hong Kong vs. Bangkok?

Whoa, mole,

Not so hard on Sammy. Remember, it takes just one bad experience to colour your view of a place and sounds like Sammy had more than one.

I think Sammy's opinion is sincerely offered and reflects my view that Bangkok is poorer and suffers from more street crime than Hong Kong, which is a valid point to make for Stephlovestravel. Fortunately, most replying here have not had the same misfortune Sammy suffered.