We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong Prepaid 3G Mobile Internet SIM

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Hong Kong Prepaid 3G Mobile Internet SIM

First of all hi guys and sorry for the bad english which is about to come but im still learning (:

I have a question. In November ill be going to Hong Kong for 13 days. So im intending to buy a prepaid sim so I can call and internet cheap locally on my HTC Desire HD. 2 years ago ive been in Hong Kong and ive bought a prepaid Peoples card with unlimited EDGE data. It was decent in the cities but not fast enough.

Ive been looking over the internet and I found out that there are actually only two providers who sell prepaid 3G SIMS . Three Mobile and CSL.

- CSL costs like $78 dollar for 7 days, which means for my stay ill pay $ 156. It has a FUP, but on the CSL site I cant see how much data I can use. Is it unlimited or not? I cant find that out on the website.

- ''Three'' Costs like $298 a month. But since I only stay for like 2 weeks this will come out way more expensive, but it does have unlimited data. And since I will use tethering with my Desire on my laptop I dont know how much data I will consume.

And who will have the better coverage? Ill be mostly in the cities but in the evening when I want to internet on my laptop I'll be in Yuen Long (new territories) . Two years ago my peoples SIM lost connection pretty much every time i tried to connect with the internet.

Hope someone can help me out with this. I cant live without internet for 2 weeks :p.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong Prepaid 3G Mobile Internet SIM

Ive been searching on this site and one person mentioned this one

…hkcsl.com/jsp/…charges.jsp

Which costs 50HKD a day

…hkcsl.com/jsp/…overview.jsp

This one cost like 28HKD a day.

But idk the difference

Edited: 2:34 pm, July 18, 2011
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,541 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong Prepaid 3G Mobile Internet SIM

>>CSL .... Is it unlimited or not?

Please click on "Fair Usage Policy" link on that page

>>CSL.. This one cost like 28HKD a day. But idk the difference

Requires purchase of the 588HKD starter pack. But you should go to their own store and inquire. Often websites are not updated with latest promotion/rates.

>> And who will have the better coverage?

Coverage should be comparable. However even the best network can have dead spot, and the room you are in might be one. Therefore verify coverage on site before spending large amounts.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong Prepaid 3G Mobile Internet SIM

@Dsquared_11,yep, who these days can live without internet for 2(two) weeks??

You got it right,in HK,only two telcos offer prepaid SIM on 3G-"3" ,and CSL.

Both are unlimited data,but of course,like many telcos around the world,there is free usage policy(FUP) in place.

3- where you mentioned HKD298/month could be referring to postpaid plan. For prepaid ,it is HKD28/day.

Both have their shops in HKIA,though at Departure -Level 5.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong Prepaid 3G Mobile Internet SIM

@Dsquared_11, ok, for the "3"- RM298- that is the maximum monthly ceiling limit-i.e. as it is HKD28/day,and if you are going to be there for 13 days= HKD28*13 = HKD364,so you can only be charged up to HKD298 and no more.

CSL claims to have a higher download speed on HSDPA of 7.2 Mbps compared to "3" which is 3.6Mbps. Afraid am not in a position to vouch for it.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong Prepaid 3G Mobile Internet SIM

Ahh i see. Thanks for the answer guys. They both seem to have their advantages. CSL seems to have a bit better coverage from what I read and has a better download speed which might be usefull out of the city.

CSL - 10 days (since ill be in china for two days)

Is 2 x 178 makes 356 dollars for 7,2 Mb

Three - 10 days will be 298HKD with 3,6 Mb

At this moment I have a download speed on my mobile of 3,6 too. And it works perfect. Its fast enough for me. But then again I dont know how the networks are in Hong Kong.

Edited: 2:32 am, July 19, 2011
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong Prepaid 3G Mobile Internet SIM

@Dsquared_11, what does the numbers tell you?

To go for "3".and "3" has also a special roaming data pass(unlimited) when you are in China,locked to China Unicom network.

If you trawl "3" site, you will pick up info on Data Pass when roaming and also data shield,so that once you are on China Unicom network,and subscribe to data roaming pass, data shield is automatically activated,and prevent you from going to other networks and incurring additional charges.

Oh yes, just make sure you have proper plug adapter for your phone charger.

Have a good trip in HK and China.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong Kong Prepaid 3G Mobile Internet SIM

Thanks for the great help mKiara (:

Its clear that I need to go for ''3''. I have one last question though.

Could you tell me the main differences between these two ''three'' prepaid sims?

HSDPA Broadband Access Rechargeable SIM

three.com.hk/website/appmanager/three/home…

And

HSDPA Broadband Access Rechargeable SIMhttp://www.three.com.hk/website/appmanager/three/home?_nfpb=true&pageid=618001&_pageLabel=P200470391219567710594&lang=eng

Is it true that the first one (HSDPA Broadband SIM) is only for data and you cant make calls with it? I dont care about roamingcosts and I wont call much out there but ofcourse I do need to stay available.

Edited: 4:42 pm, July 19, 2011
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hong Kong Prepaid 3G Mobile Internet SIM

Edit

3G Super Value Monthly Fee Rechargeable SIM Card

three.com.hk/website/appmanager/three/home…

Edited: 4:44 pm, July 19, 2011
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hong Kong Prepaid 3G Mobile Internet SIM

@Dsquared_11,main difference- HSDPA Broadband Access Rechargeable SIM comes in three face values-HKD68,HKD98,HKD298, whereas the 3G Super Value Monthly Fee Rechargeable SIM Card only comes with one face value-HKD98.

Both also allow calls, as you can see with the HSDPA Broadband Access Rechargeable SIM- charges for local calls is HKD0.30/min.

Having said so, I am also puzzled,as my perception always is that broadband is only for data..

Personally, as you are just having your HTC Desire HD smartphone on you, just get the 3G Super Value Monthly Fee Rechargeable SIM Card,as the local airtime charges on this is only HKD0.10/min in comparison to the other which is HKD0.30/min.

However, you might be interested to look at 3G International Roaming Rechargeable SIM Card also valued at HK$98 but with extra $52 voice stored-value and totally $55 worth FREE multimedia usage upon card activation . I bought this recently for my son when he came over to HK from North America.

However, in closer inspection, the ceiling limit for wireless data differs for each card:-

1). 3G Super Value Monthly Fee Rechargeable SIM Card-HKD338.00.

2). 3G International Roaming Rechargeable SIM Card -HKD428.00

3). HSDPA Broadband Access Rechargeable SIM-HKD298.00

(but in my user guide, it is stated as HKD388.00).

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hong Kong Prepaid 3G Mobile Internet SIM

Thanks again!! But I think Ill be going with the 3G Super Value Monthly Fee Rechargeable SIM Card as you said. The HSDPA is a bit cheaper with in internet over a month but since Ill be only in Hong Kong for 10 days it both will be 10 days x 28HKD. And calling is cheaper.